Connecting Case Fans To PSU

CSB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Probably not so much of a major problem, but I am concerned with how to connect all my case fans to my PSU, a couple are connected to Mobo headers but the others are standard Molex connections fed through to the back of the case for cable management.

What I wanted to clear up was this, is it ok to connect a 200mm Big Boy fan, and about 5 other 120mm case fans to a single PSU Molex power cable, the Corsair AX850 Molex cable has 4 seperate Molex connections spaced throughout the cable lengh.

So is it ok to connect like the 200mm Big Boy Fan to one of these, then connect 1 120mm fan to the next in line connection, and then 2 120mm fans to each of the remaining 2 Molex connections ?

Or do I need to connect the other spare Molex power cable that come with the Fully Modular PSU, and run some of the fans on each cable to make sure I don't have the fans trying to take too much power from a rail that can't support them ???

I've never built a system before to the PSU with more than 2 other case fans, especially no bigger than 120mm before, also these fans have blue LEDs built in which need a bit of power too of course.

I've probably confused you all, so I might take some pics later to show you how I've got them hooked up at the moment.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No! They all need their own molex cable from the PSU, Fan take a lot of power you know. :p

Seriously,

Daisy chain them if you can. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Depends whether each rail is taken from a different transformer winding in which case it would be good sense to use different rails/modular cables. But it's probably a switched mode PSU in which case all rails will be 'commoned' when it comes to drawing current.

I have fans connected to several Molex outputs on one modular cable, no issues.

Mind you, the most I have connected on any machine is 4 x 120mm and 1 x 200mm.

Better to connect any fans over 80mm to Molex connectors as opposed to motherboard headers with the possible exception of the CPU fan(s) if you want a monitoring facility.

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've always wondered though why do the molex connectors to these fans have a male and female if you've got to be careful that it gets enough power on its own ?.

Will delve back into the case when I've got time to make the changes, The only fans currently connected to the mobo headers is the CPU Noctua Round 140mm fan and the 120mm Antec Tri cool Red colour fan next to the Corsair Dominator Ram.

I remember on my previous Antec system, I connected the back Tri colour fan to a header on the mobo and the front case intake 120mm fan to a molex. The HSF fan was of course connected ot the CPU header aswell.

Never had a problem with that but then we are talking about alot more wires here lol. I have to say, I am a bit disappointed in Antec with the 1200 case I've got for all this.

They could have made a few more (what I call metal tags, where you can place a cable tie around it for your cables) on the back, as this case only has 4 from what I could see, no imagination to add a few on the left where the Optical drives and HDDs go.

Would have been great, especially as its slightly deeper aswell on that left side and would have been ideal for the thicker 24 pin ATX Mobo cable.

A few people have made alterations to the case before they start adding any hardware, I didn't as I thought with having a fully modular PSU this time, I'd have an easier job :blush:

If I build another in future, I very may well go with another company for the case. Antec are starting to lose my loyalty. Asus on the other hand have always been good to me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice and with your patience when being asked questions by a numpty lol:rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just daisy chaining them should be fine, i did it with almost all my fans in my old Antec 900 with my old Corsair HX620w. Think i had 4 maybe 5 all one after another in that with no issues at all. :)

Ask a Question