computer problem

Reaction score
weird problem here, wonder if anyone can help me please.
my computer was making a bit of noise so removed side casing and saw loads of dust in psu fan and sound was coming from there. cleaned it all up and booted comp up. all was quite again, comp running fine. few days later went to turn on my computer and nothing on screen but everything running, like cpu fan, psu fan graphics card fans and hd powering up, no beeps nothing only power button flashing. tried everything still same. took it all apart and cleaned, put it back together but as it lay on its side i powered it up and hey presto all back to life again, running perfect. put case sides back on put it under my desk and connected cables, powered up and back to nothing on screen, pulled it out and lay on its side and back to running again.
changed psu instead of a 500 watt i put a 650 watt in connected up powered on (on its side) all running, stand it up and nothing again.
friend said that the cpu cooler could be loose or not sitting flush so removed cleaned new thermal paste and new cooler and fan. still nothing when its stood up, but all ok on its side.

below is info on my machine
dyp18x.png

oiyc6e.jpg

14bhiyu.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Take the side of the case off; put machine on its side; Boot and observe machine working.

Then slowly put it upright and observe all components closely looking for something to move, particularly cables.

Kind of an obvious suggestion but it may reveal the fault to you.

Make sure the CPU fan is running when machine is upright. If it isn't running the cooler's fan cable may be intermittent working in upright/sideways position and the BIOS is usually set to prevent booting if a CPU fan fails.

And with good reason as running the CPU without cooling would likely fry it in a matter of minutes.

Good luck with finding the problem.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
something does seem to 'move' for the system to shut off ... the only things I can think off are ... graphics card & HSF

follow master Floppy's advice ... let us know. :)

Reaction score
I thought that of some thing moving and thought about my graphics card, so removed card and used the onboard graphics, still did same.
will try what you guys say and will let you know
cheers

Reaction score
Good luck Mally, Oh, I'm the friend he was talking about guys. Suggested a few things. Some worked until this started again. Strange but true ;)

Ask a Question