Me Spec

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought I'd commit to paper, as it were, the spec of my main machine. With the recent addition of the NAS it could be that the machines internal storage may be a little on the overdone side.

Anyhow, FWIW, this is my latest incarnation:

MSI Z170A M5 Gaming Motherboard
Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake 4Ghz CPU
Noctua NHU12S CPU cooler with extra 120mm fan
Zalman R1 Midi ATX Tower case, black
Corsair Modular 620W Power Supply
Nvidia Geforce GTX970 4Gb GPU
Corsair DDR4 Memory 32Gb (4 x 8Gb)
Pioneer BDR209M BluRay Writer
Kingston HyperX 240Gb SSD drive (Operating system)
Seagate 2Tb Hard drive (Data)
Seagate 3Tb Hard drive (Backup)
Toshiba 4Tb hard drive (Games)
Synology NAS DS416J Server with 2 x 4Tb & 2 x 3Tb Hard disks giving a useable 9Tb with backup
Creative Soundblaster Z Sound card
Acer 28” B286HK Monitor 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz
2 x Wireless Xbox 360 Game controllers with Venom rechargeable battery packs + receiver
Coolermaster Quickfire CM Storm Mechanical keyboard
Steel Series Rival corded mouse
Steel Series hard gaming mouse mat
Asus Router RT N66U Dark Knight Wireless
Mr Fatman Mi Tube 2 Valve amplifier
Home made 2496 DAC
Ariston Accoustics Media loudspeakers, wall-mounted

The Toshiba 4Tb hard disk is very noisy, don't think I'll buy another one of those.

The Corsair 620W PSU is now around 7 or 8 years old but still seems to be able to cope with everything, though I do wonder whether or not I need something more powerful to drive that lot.

Next upgrade: probably a GTX1070 GPU when funds permit.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Really nice system that, Flops :).

What's you thoughts on the 4k monitor - do you do much gaming at full 4k?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The resolution I listed is the one I run the screen at all the time. It makes text really quite tiny but the clarity is rather good.

If a game supports that res then I will run it at that. Some games are impressive, others are just kinda normal/acceptable but I've found that when I become really immersed in a game it's not the graphic detail that impresses but the gameplay.

The monitor I chose, btw, I purchased relatively recently as a BenQ 27" monitor I was using started going wrong and this one replaced it. It was just about the lowest priced 4K monitor on sale at OCUK but the customer reviews were good.

Worthwhile? Yes, I'd say so, but not exactly essential.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice seup Flops. My Corsair 850w is still going strong too, that must be a good 5 years old now.

How's the Noctua cooler? I'm considering swapping out the H80i or at least the fans on it, I swear its getting louder....

I like the idea of a 4K monitor but they still seem quite a bit of money and you then need the hardware to drive it. I'll likely go 1440p if I changed my monitor at this time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Worthwhile? Yes, I'd say so, but not exactly essential.

Thanks, I keep keep toying with the idea of 4k monitors, so I like to hear how other people are finding it. I use a dual monitor setup, so I'm going to wait for the price to drop before I take the plunge.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ever considered going ultrawide (21:9) Ian?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Noctua coolers? I'm something of a fan of theirs, been using them for 10 years + Not the cheapest of coolers but effective. And their backup is good as well, as I recall from the last time I was in touch with them (that was a long time ago now).

Here's a spec that gives CPU temp (top right)

msi command.JPG

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nice seup Flops. My Corsair 850w is still going strong too, that must be a good 5 years old now.

How's the Noctua cooler? I'm considering swapping out the H80i or at least the fans on it, I swear its getting louder....

I like the idea of a 4K monitor but they still seem quite a bit of money and you then need the hardware to drive it. I'll likely go 1440p if I changed my monitor at this time.

Going on Flop's fanatical devotion to the Noctua coolers, despite the awful colour, and after me water cooler cracked, I went for a Noctua NH-D15 for me Skylake build. Works a treat and is almost silent even when gaming. When surfing it runs with just one of the fans turning. Top coolers apart from that truly awful colour. :lol:

Ask a Question