Case fan query.

Reaction score
My case has a fan on the side which has both male and female molex connectors coming from it. I'm wanting to connect it to the motherboard and not directly to just the PSU because I want to be able to control and keep an eye on the fan. Is there any additional cable I need for this. Additionally I'm still something of a beginner so do I need to just connect the fan to the motherboard or both the motherboard and the PSU. I ask because I don't know why it has both male and female connectors.

Finally does it matter whether I connect the case fan to the power fan or system fan ports on the motherboard?

Thanks for any information you can tell me. And sorry if any of my questions seem stupid I am still a beginner.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Any question worth asking makes it a non-stupid question.

The fan has both male & female molex connectors so it can share a PSU connection with another device which needs a PSU connection.

To connect your case fan to your motherboard first make sure your motherboard has a spare three pin fan outlet on it.

If there's one free then you'll need a converter lead, three pin socket (connects to motherboard) to a molex connector (fits to fan). Make sure the converter lead has a three pin socket to fit the three pins on the motherboard.

Then you're up an running with software monitor capabilities.

Reaction score
Dont mean to sound like a git flopps

FYI minime9891,

If the fan is connected to a molex then it may not have a fan speed sensor on it so three pin is not needed.

Some do have a separate yellow wire to connect to motherboard aswell as the molex but most don't

Likewise not all fans have the capability to allow for speed monitoring

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Dont mean to sound like a git flopps

FYI minime9891,

If the fan is connected to a molex then it may not have a fan speed sensor on it so three pin is not needed.

Some do have a separate yellow wire to connect to motherboard aswell as the molex but most don't

Likewise not all fans have the capability to allow for speed monitoring

Nope, a very good point and one which I'd overlooked.

Without the third wire being present all I've described above would be pointless.

If that is the case only other option would be to buy a replacement fan that has a three pin board connection with a third wire and speed monitoring capability.

Thanks for pointing that out TXD :thumb:

Ask a Question