New Cooling Fan

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
My PC keeps cutting out so I had a look inside and I note that the fan at the bottom of the case is spinning but fairly slowly. I think this may be the cause of the problem because after leaving things for several minutes the PC works normally for 10 minutes before cutting out again, presumably after overheating. I've found that the fan is a Spire SP526S7-1 which I'm pretty sure I can replace if I get a new one.

Where would be the best place to get one of these, or a suitable alternative? I'm sure you regulars know all the best places for components. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
if it is a case fan, replace it entirely ... I don't expect the lack of a case fan to be responsible for a cause of overheating, but not unheard of. does leaving the side of the case off help?

if this is a fan on the motherboard, tell us the make & model of the MB.

oh, I just looked that number up ... is this your CPU fan ??? REPLACE IT!! replace the HSF

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spire-CoolWave-775-SP526S7-Cooler/dp/B002RC3N1C

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Temporary (saving) measure whilst new CPU cooler is dispatched would be to leave side of case off and aim a normal household rotary fan inside the case, that'll keep things cool and stop the CPU frying.

And brush/vacum clean out all the dust bunnies.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I picked up it was a case fan, however if it is a cpu fan then do as Mucks says just replace it straight away.

Here is some more info on it,

https://www.ketteringlaptops.co/product/spire-sp526s7-1-coolwave-v-pro-skt-775/

12VDC Fan : 95×95×25 mm
Noise level 19 dBA
Air flow 38.95 CFM

Hard to tell if the screw holes are the same as a fan with a square surround. I would guess they may be in which case you can swap them fairly easily.
If not then you might need a different cooler. Or just glue a new fan on or fashion some fastening with some Sugaru.

:D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, fellers. Much appreciated.:thumb:

I have taken it out, dusted it with a paint brush and attempted to lubricate it. Also cleaned out all the dust from the inside of the case. Household fan at the ready. :)

Back in now and it is spinning quite a bit quicker but I'm sure it's not at 2000 rpm. I looked at the Arctic fans but not certain about the screw holes matching up. Kettering Laptops advertise the Spire but have none in stock so I've ordered one from Amazon as per Muck's link and it should be here by Thursday.

It is now over 30 minutes since I replaced the fan and I now note that it could well be at 2000rpm. Maybe the lubrication has eventually got to work. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, fellers. Much appreciated.:thumb:

I have taken it out, dusted it with a paint brush and attempted to lubricate it. Also cleaned out all the dust from the inside of the case. Household fan at the ready. :)

Back in now and it is spinning quite a bit quicker but I'm sure it's not at 2000 rpm. I looked at the Arctic fans but not certain about the screw holes matching up. Kettering Laptops advertise the Spire but have none in stock so I've ordered one from Amazon as per Muck's link and it should be here by Thursday.

It is now over 30 minutes since I replaced the fan and I now note that it could well be at 2000rpm. Maybe the lubrication has eventually got to work. :)

If you ordered the item from Muck's link be aware that it is a complete cpu cooler and will need some thermal grease applying when fitting. Mind you I guess you could swap the fans over so no grease needed.
At least you are back up and running. :dance:

Ask a Question