OCUK Reviews

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Attached to most of OCUK's products are reviews of that product, submitted by purchasers/users. Those reviews may well be genuine but what you may not be aware of is that OCUK are selective in which reviews they choose to publish with their products.

Some of you may be familiar with the problems I've had with my Asus D2X Xonar pci-e sound card so I thought to let other people know of the card's pitfalls I'd submit a product review to OCUK in mid-July just gone.

Here it is, quite self-explanatory:

This is the best sounding card I've ever owned but be aware at least 2 Bethesda game titles won't work with it: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Both games freeze the computer with the sound card oscillating after between ten and thirty minutes play.

I have tried all of Asus' drivers and both games are fully patched. Very disappointing.

Also Call Of Juarez patched for DX10 won't work with this card either. All other games I've tried so far work well with the Xonar D2X pci-e.

My brief specs: Asus P5B; Core 2 duo 6600; BFG 9800GTX; 4Gb Corsair 8400. Vista SP1.

If you can put up with those shortcomings the card, imo, sounds superior to my old Creative X-Fi Gamer.

They didn't publish it.

I have now lost all confidence in OCUK and I don't intend to use them any more.

This after eight years of purchasing from them and in all that time only one minor gripe and lots of very good service, rma's and all.

It looks as though they realise my review may discourage sales and the card has already been reduced from aprox 130 to 90 presumably in an attempt to shift stock.

The words 'manipulative' 'dishonest' and 'untrustworthy' now come to mind.

I'm rather sad to report this, my only concern was for others not to suffer the same disappointment as myself, I have no other agenda.

The Asus card will now take up permanent residence in my media machine where it will drive a stereo hi-fi only, no surround sound. Just music and movies, no games.

Once I confirm the Creative Fatality with front case bay/panel will work ok with Win 7, I'm going to get one of those for my main machine.

As much as I don't agree with Creative's marketing strategy and lack of support for older products, at least I know their latest cards will work with the latest games and usually sound pretty good as well.

All in all, a bit sad :(

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
OCUK are selective in which reviews they choose to publish with their products.

As are most sites that have reviews...

I haven't used OCUK very much or fo that long. But I am not to happy with them. Like a muppet I forgot to write down my logon details. I forgot my password. Followed the " Forgotten Password " link and submitted my e-mail address. Answer " Your details have been e-mailed to **************@btinternet.com" Correct e-mail address..Yet after no less than 15 attempts at this over the last month I have yet to recieve said details. And no OCUK is not been filtered as spam or junk mail, as I get a tonne of crap from them anyway....
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
The only thing I buy on the net NOW is ink! That’s it, buying local is far less hassle.

I have never used or ever will use OCUK. I dont even buy from Ebuyer anymore:bow:

As for reviews on suppliers own sites I don’t trust I usually find a forum for reviewing items, as this site is unbiased so are others.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That is indeed worrying.. But that said, i always look for reviews from independent websites, trusted reviews, Hardware Secrets etc, i rarely read the reviews on their pages tbh.

Still say their service is A1 though :)

Call me mad if you will but I actually bought the Razer Mamba mouse from OCUK the other week, mainly because i wanted to see just how good it is. With a price tag of £100 i was expecting lots.

Anyway, it wasn't as good as i was expecting, so i RMA'ed it. Still cant beat my G5 mk2. :D

One hour later i got a reply to the webnote, next day after receiving the return the RMA was approved with a full refund. (Being a regular on their forum i dont pay postage so i didn't loose anything. ;)))

Shame because if that is the case regarding the reviews i'm dissapointed. But how can you fault that kind of service?

A pic, man the old G5 looks 'well worn' dont it lol... :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mamba1.jpg
    mamba1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 631
  • mamba2.jpg
    mamba2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 652

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Maybe I'm naive but I did almost believe those reviews. Never, ever, again.

In fact maybe I'm stupid to believe that a commercial concern could have any objective in mind other than to make money.

The only online supplier I have ever ever had a constant positive vibe back from from is Kustom PC's. But they charge a little more.

Which figures, really.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: I still use my two G5's, the blue one and the bronzey brown one.

imo best meeces ever, and I've tried a coupla razers as well, I did not get on with them.

Reaction score
Ebuyer

Not sure if this thread is still being read but I'd rate Ebuyer as cr>p.
And have you tried getting in touch with them!!! Oh no, not easy.
Customer service seems non existant - don't blame you if you prefer to go to your local retailer...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Jolliffesguy said:
Not sure if this thread is still being read but I'd rate Ebuyer as cr>p.

Fair enough.

Jolliffesguy said:
And have you tried getting in touch with them!!! Oh no, not easy.

Yes I have, they answerd the phone right away last time I tried and sorting probs out was easy.

Jolliffesguy said:
Customer service seems non existant - don't blame you if you prefer to go to your local retailer...

Not my experience, although I will admit it was at least 9 months ago I dealt with them.

Hey, at one time I hated E-Buyer, they messed me about rotten, but they changed.

Changed so much in fact that I have confidence in them.

Ask a Question