overclockers uk again (not to me this time :D)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm a member on the overclockers uk forum aswell, and I read a post about some dude who had a problem with an RMA of a graphics card.

He bought a £550 ati radeon 5970 15 months ago with a 2 year premium ocuk warranty which "should" replace the card if it goes wrong within those 2 years. So if it goes wrong after 15 months of owning and he sends it back to ocuk he should get a proper refund or a replacement like for like. They dont have a 5970 in stock as there an old card now, so instead they offer him either £175 in cash or a 6970 an inferior card (£290 new).

He try's reasoning with them with a few expensive phone calls (yes you have to pay to talk to ocuk) but they wouldn't budge one bit. He asked to speak to the manager who he knew was there because the guy at ocuk who he was speaking to was relaying messages from the manager but the manager wouldn't speak to the customer (maybe too embarrassed) and instead the ocuk customer services worker said for him to write a complaint on a webnote! Because he doesnt want to deal with ocuk ever again he bites the bullet and takes the cash!

If they were a half decent retailer then they would of either offered him his £550 back or gave him the equivalent 6990.

God knows why the thread wasnt deleted straight the way to try and protect there crappy reputation by some ocuk nerds but it went on for a while, with well over 1000 views and the majority of the posters were disgusted with ocuk and wouldnt use them again. I got banned for a few days from the foums for adding to the thread "I'd pay over the odds to not shop at overclockers uk" :(

Good ole ocuk again.

Reaction score
He's a bit of a silly billy for settling then isnt he. He paid extra for the extended guarantee but settled for less anyway!

Hmmmmm

Some people really do bewilder me at times

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That, then, was the final nail in the coffin for me with Overclockers.

It seems a two year warranty is worthless then? For replacement/full refund value, only twelve months apply.

I've noted all the unrest/unfairness going on with OCUK over the last couple of years but had always retained a hope I might go back as their stock is so varied. But no, not now, that's it.

Don't think I'll ever be buying another ATI card in a hurry either, I've had a couple fail on me in the past.

I'm very surprised OCUK have let that thread stand, they're normally like Nazis on their forum for that sort of thing.

Oh well, may very well be having a modest Graphics card upgrade soon, £150-£200 range, will choose from Kustom PC's/Scan/E-Buyer/Aria.

As coda: I've mentioned before I've had two video cards rma'd with OCUK. Both of these were well within the twelve month warranty the first one being only a month old at most.

Reaction score
If it is one thing I have learned from this site and others that I have been into is NEVER use OCUK, I have been tempted until about two/three years ago I noticed that on many sites there was disquiet about their service and quality of customer care. I am suprised that they are still in busness. Now I always read independent customer reviews of on line stores before using them as like many I cannot afford to throw money down the drain. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Is the thread still going then? i cant read yet cos im banned for a week i think, i aint creating a new account cant be arsed :p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nah looks like the threads been moved out of the public view now.

CSB

Reaction score
OCUK, knew I'd hear bad about them sooner or later, I feel sorry for people who stick up for them, is only making the protective person look bad the longer this goes on. If they were anything decent, you would only hear of the odd disgruntled customer, they have enough disatisfied customers to fill china.

I'll certainly never use em again, I deleted my account with them a while ago after the fiasco with the Asus Mobo. They make you work hard to get anything replaced or refunded.

Ask a Question