Work laptop issues

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for looking at this thread:
I have started a new job which is heavily excel driven and in my "unqualified" opinion I don't think the laptop is good enough. the details are as follows:

Processor: Intel (R)Core™ i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHZ
Installed Ram: 4.00 GB (3.86 GB usable)
System type: 64bit operating system, x64-based processor

The issue is one particular spreadsheet - which is 17,284kb in size.

This spreadsheet has a data tab with 22,000 rows of data downloaded from the nominal ledger system and has multiple tabs with Pivot tables looking up the data.

The issues are
(1) I have to close and re-open the file before I refresh the pivots - otherwise I get the message "the system does not have enough resource" or something to that effect and then I cannot save the file and lose any amendments I have made since the last time I have saved the file.
(2) when working through the tab with the 22,000 rows I filter out some of the information, and I amend some of the information and copy and pasting is extremely slow, well it takes a few seconds, and I need to do everything at speed and it slows me down considerably at month end.

So my question is - is my laptop good enough? I have spoke to my works IT dept and they have said my laptop is perfectly fine. Surely I can improve my laptop even if they wont give me a new one for a few quid, extra memory etc. I have limited knowledge of laptops but from past experience I would never buy a laptop which is 4.00GB - I would always buy 8.00GB.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Do you have any apps open at the same time as you are working on the spreadsheet? A browser takes up about 400MB even when you only have 1 tab open. Maybe if you could use your cell phone to navigate the web and check email you won't need to open them on the laptop. And yes I agree that a computer these days needs at least 8GB.

Reaction score
Your workplace did not provide you w an adequate laptop, straight up!
If what you'll be doing is heavy Excel use, you should be on a i5 maybe even a i7 for processing power. Mem should be 16 maybe 32 GBs!
Our financial analysts at my work place have i7 and 64GB of memory. Yes it is a $2500 laptop but they can do ANYTHING they every need to do!

Reaction score
I deal with large amounts of data in Excel with many workbooks open. My work has issued me an i5 and I was able to upgrade from 8gb to 32Gb and it is just coping with what I do. An i3 with 4Gb is totally inadequate. You have a good machine for basic email and surfing the web.

Ask a Question