Windows Vista Laptop Freezes

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am running windows vista home premium. My laptop was dropped and the LCD screen was broken. I used a external monitor using a vga connection cable and i was able to see the startup page with the manufactures name but right after that screen it would not go to the desktop. I tried startup repair and everything i could access to solve the problem. Nothing was working. My last attemt was running the recovery media I got when I purchased my laptop and when I restarted the computer IT WORKED! I was able to get to the desktop. I started downloading all of the programs I had lost because I did not backup anything. It was almost as if I had to get a new laptop completely. It has been working fine for two days now until earlier after I replaced the broken LCD screen.The laptop now freezes on me constantly and it restarts by itself if there is no activity. when I run a virus scan, the operating system takes me to a blue screen saying windows needs to shut down to prevent damage. When I try to run my computer in safe mode, the computer locks up before it takes me to the desktop. I even tried to run a restore earlier and it kept freezing before the restore would end. Every time I start the laptop and it goes to the desktop, I get a weird error message that pops up along with the cmd window. I ran CCleaner earlier and it told me that I had something corrupted and it told me to run the chkdsk utility. When I run the chkdsk utility I get something on the second stage that says $I30 on file 239 and the chkdsk stops and it wont finish. I am stumped and really need your help. I never seen anything like this before. Does it sound like a hardware issue or a software issue?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you dropped your laptop hard enough to break the LCD, it could be that you've also damaged your hard drive (causing corruption, leading to problems in Windows).

Try downloading and burning a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and boot from that. You should then be able to run the drive test utility from your HDD manufacturer, which will let you know if there are any problems.

Reaction score
Its funny it was working fine until you fixed the screen.....i wonder did that upset anything....do what Ian suggests...he knows a thing or two about a thing or two
Zzzzz

Ask a Question