Windows 7 Problem with Services

Reaction score
On my laptop, services "SSDP Discovery" and "UPnP Device Host" often cause high CPU and memory usage for unknown reasons, so I always stop them when not in use. To prevent them from unwanted startups, I have changed their Startup Type to Manual and stopped them manually.
But recently, I noticed that these two services would automatically enable every time I rebooted or woke my laptop from Sleep.
Before I check other installed software, I wonder if any system settings might contribute to this problem.

Reaction score
Never heard of a service to re-enable itself.
Disable them in Services but also try:
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost
both set to 3
Or via Group Policy
Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\System Services\UPnP Device Host - set to disable

Reaction score
both set to 3
Or via Group Policy
Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\System Services\UPnP Device Host - set to disable
First of all, thanks for your reply.
According to your first suggestion, I opened Registry Editor and entered the path you said. But it seems that ServiceSidType, Start, and Type are all can set to 3. I don't know which value I should change since I'm not expert at guessing these things.
As for your second suggestion, I cannot find the same path as you suggested. I don't mean that your answer is wrong. It's just because English is not my computer language. So could you please show me a screenshot of the path you said, if it's comfortable for you?

Reaction score
both set to 3
Or via Group Policy
Oh, I think I figure out the Registry part.
The key values 3 and 4 of Start correspond to Demand and Disabled. It seems that the registry values have been set correctly.

Reaction score
I didn't find any possible software that may cause such a problem. But I solved this problem(I think) in another way.
I wrote a BAT file to automatically disable/enable the two services by double-clicking and inputting a specific number. Of course, I'm not skillful enough to create such a BAT file by myself. I referred to other BAT files for uninstalling some special software.
Thank everyone who helped me in this post! :D

Ask a Question