Windows Vista Cannot log on to the Internet with my laptop

Reaction score
Hi hope some one can help me.I have tried to log in to the Internet as usual with my laptop,clicking on the IE icon on the task bar it seems to go throught the motions connecting ,but eventually "hangs" if thats the correct terminology.It just won`t complete the connection.I have some of the ISP front page but not the complete page .On the task bar, on the right hand side, the two monitors are showing and the little world symbol.Hovering over it,it says i am connected.The ISP is Plusnet and i am using Internet explorer 8.The operating system is Vista Home Premium and i am connecting wirelessly.This has just occurred and i have not had any problems previously.If i go and try e-mail i can access this and download new mail ! I also have a desktop with XP and am not having any problems connecting to the Internet with that. Hope someone can help me.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Try resetting IE 8

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset
This will take you back to IE 8 factory settings.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.I have reset IE8 as suggested but the problem still remains.I have also tried running Microsoft`s Fix It programme and still no luck.It seems as if the HD is constantly working as the the light keeps flashing.I have also ran a complete Mcafee virus scan.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try loading IE8 in safe mode and see if that helps. To do this, click Start > Run > "iexplore -extoff" > OK.

Personally, I'd upgrade browsers at the same time - as IE9 is available and there are other good alternatives like FireFox/Chrome.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ian. I have tried typing in what you have said but i don`t get a result.Is this for XP? There is no RUN on vista after start.And is that a space after ore then -extoff?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
In Vista click on the start orb and type " Run " in the start search area and hit enter.
In the run box type " iexplore -extoff " without quotations and hit enter. Yes that is a space before -extoff

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ian. I have tried typing in what you have said but i don`t get a result.Is this for XP? There is no RUN on vista after start.And is that a space after ore then -extoff?

Sorry, I forgot about the lack of run on the start menu in Vista - you can do it the way Evan suggested, or press "Windows Key + R" :).

Reaction score
I have typed in what you suggested Ian but get a message,cannot display the web page.After clicking diagnose, i am told windows cannot find extoff.I have also tried installing IE9 but have the same problem.I have also tried uninstalling IE9 and IE8 then reinstalling IE8 but still have the same problem.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Have you tried installing a different browser to see what happens ?

Reaction score
Maybe should have mentioned that i had already done a hard reset of my modem.
But WOW .I have installed Firefox as you suggested and not only can i access the Internet now but the speed is far far faster than Internet Explorer. I can`t believe how quick i can connect favourites.I should i say bookmarks! New terminology for me .Think i will stick with Firefox and see if i can learn how to use ti after being with IE as it was the only browser i knew.Again many thanks for your help.Without you guys people would really struggle.

Reaction score
I mentioned in one of the early posts that i had ran the Microsoft fixit programme and it did not solve the problem.But i am more than happy with the Firefox browser that you suggested Evan.It would be interesting though to find out what is causing the problem with IE.As i said it only affects my laptop and not my desktop.

Reaction score
It is because virus is in your laptop, restart your laptop and press F8 to switch to safemode than run anti virus to clean virus or make a new profile with administrative rights and delete the old profile and remember don't copy files from the infected profile

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion keirawatson.
I have started in safe mode and ran a full virus scan using Mcafee and it does not show any virus problems.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and links Abarbarian.I downloaded avg and ran a scan and it did indeed show up a trojan which it then removed.I still have a possible problem that it also showed up.A "virus" ? it cannot remove- hidden driver\mfeavfk01.sys A search of the net shows it seems to be something to do with Mcafee and could be harmless?I hav`nt been able to remove as yet.I have also managed to log on to the net using IE so it appears the trojan that was removed by avg was the cause of the problem.

Ask a Question