Windows 7 how to find internet settings in Network Sharing

Reaction score
My Network Sharing Centre ...change adapter settings shows Unknown,clicking change settings shows the page to be empty.The dependency service or group failed to start.I do have an internet connection but my tray icon has a Red Cross..no internet connection.I would like to do a reinstall in the hope all the missing files and dependencies will be found as the last time I tried a reinstall I had no internet for some time and I don't want to repeat that

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
As I posted in one of your other threads. Best option for you is to do a fresh install with all the problems you are having. No pint chasing them one by one. :thumb:

Reaction score
If I do a fresh instal and there are no Network Settings for me to copy,how do I connect to the internet,that is the essence of my question.If these settings don't appear what means do I have of knowing them,if I can't copy them first Before the install

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Plug the ethernet cable from your router / modem into your computer and when you do the install everything will be taken care of for you.

Reaction score
Plug the ethernet cable from your router / modem into your computer and when you do the install everything will be taken care of for you.

The last time I did that, the ethernet cable was left plugged in during the reinstal ,are you saying I plug in the cable afer the instal,leaving the ethernet in during reinstal didn't reconnect me,should it have been left out until afterwards

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
How exactly are you connecting to the internet ? Dial up, broadband ?

Reaction score
Plug it in and leave it in

Check firstly you have the driver for your Ethernet adapter just in case it doesn't pick it up during the install of the operating system (this sometimes happens)

It should be included on the disc that was originally supplied with your motherboard
If you don't have the disc find out what motherboard you have and do a search for the driver and back it up onto a memory device so it maybe installed via system devices after the reinstall has occured.*

When the reinstall is finished windows 7 should tell you updates are available

Let it install all the updates it needs.

If you are still unsure then open your pc and give us the motherboard make and model. We will try and find it for you

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi The motherboard is this one Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31M-ES2L ,hopefully that is what you are asking for

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Do you not have the original driver CD that came with your motherboard ?
If not then go to Gigabyte Downloads & Support. On that page enter your model number (
G31M-ES2L ) into the Downloads section and hit search. Follow from there and download the LAN drivers for your board and save them to USB or CD then once you have done your fresh install insert USB or CD and search for the LAN driver you downloaded and install . Hey presto you should now have internet connection

Reaction score
I'm presuming from the silence we can cease with the spoon feeding

No continue with the spoon feeding, All my attempts at reinstalling are met with a few seconds of" Windows is activating " then Windows could not retrieve informationan about this computer from the disks.I did a reinstall about 6 weeks ago which started all my headaches,it read information then from the cd but not now.I've cleaned the cd but this has no effect

Reaction score
Yes I bought it on Ebay It's labelled OEM,the person I bought it from has been in the past exceedingly helpful at no cost,so I am not concerned about it being genuine .When I say I bought it ,I mean it was fitted to the pc when I got it and I have managed to reinstall two orthree times without incident

Ask a Question