XP and new hardware

Reaction score
Hello

I have a customer who wants to hold on to his old software (this includes XP). However, he also wants a faster 'new' PC.
The current one is a fairly low spec 2003 model.
I've got a new 'Zoostorm' PC with an Asus P8H61-MX mobo.
I realise that it will not recognise over about 2.5G RAM with a 32bit O/S, but 32 bits is what I have to use.
So, my question is: will this machine with the 4GB RAM it's got in one of its slots perform very well? Maybe a 32bit mobo (if I can get one) would do better?
I am sort of regretting taking on the job!
But if anyone has ideas I'd be grateful.

Best wishes

S

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A new machine with 4Gb RAM will run ok but the antiquated operating system known as Win XP 32 Bit will only recognise and use 3Gb of that memory. But it will cause no harm whatsoever. And it will perform almost as good as a Win 7 64 Bit install would, albeit the difference is quite noticeable.

As for software, most applications will work in XP, but some newer ones will not. Don't ask me to be specific, cos I just don't know.

As for nice new machine having XP installed it's a bit like putting a Fiat 500 engine into a Ferrari. It will work but it's one helluva waste of resources.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Googled "xp software on7"

Top answer below.

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Do I need Windows XP Mode?

Windows 7 has several built-in tools to help with program compatibility and Windows XP programs should be installed directly on Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs many older Windows XP productivity programs and that are not natively compatible with Windows 7, thus helping realize cost savings and reduce possible operational downtime by extending the life of existing software. Visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center to find software that works with Windows 7.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks Messrs Floppy and Abarb.
I know it's a damned waste of a good piece of kit but this chap wants things to work just how they do now, but quicker - ie he is stubborn!
You're both right, so I guess I will have to take a deep breath and get on with it. I also have the age-old cheesy one of installing his old XP disk with the same license.
Happy Days
Regards
S

Ask a Question