32/64 Vista/XP - what's your flavour?

Reaction score
I currently use Vista with 4Gb RAM, but I know that XP with 3GB works faster (XP won't recognise 4GB)...But, I'm using the 32Bit version of Vista as I hear always that 64bit drivers are few and far between.

I'm just rebuilding my rig and thought maybe I should move to a 64bit Vista OS and increase the ram from 4gb to 6 or even 8.

Anyone got any views on the best config?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Have Vista 64 HP with 8GB RAM.

I first had Vista 64 on a Laptop last year and you're right drivers and compatability were an issue but not really anymore.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My Mandriva 64 Bit OS runs just fine and danndy with 4 GB of memory and it was free. :p

Penguins will rule the world :D

Thats if global warming don't get us first.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Well I got 32 bit XP right now but I've just got 64 Bit Vista Ultimatum already hearing problems about drivers
will see how I get on!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with Vista 64 Bit Ultimate.

Some applications wouldn't run, lots of older games wouldn't work and at the time (about 6 months ago, I think) drivers were scarce.

Let us know how you get on if you go that route.

Reaction score
Yes I will do I remember clearly how distressed you were. In my upgrade thread I dedicated a picture of my memory to you, one of the last ones in the latest set. On the back of my memory packaging it talks about 4gb and 32 bit/64 bit OS's.

At this moment of time I am most worried about my TV card the HVR1100. Plus applications I use most days.

Ask a Question