New mATX build

Reaction score
Hi again all...long time no type!
I hope you are all well.

To the point:
I am planning a mATX machine based on the Silverstone TJ08B-E Temjin case, and the Asus Maximus Gene VI Mobo.

I have an Asus GTX580 GPU.

Questions:
1. What PSU would you recommend for this and later vids, the Gene Mobo and a i7 CPU with min 8 Gig of RAM and a couple of 120gig SSDs? (NB the PSU should be max 160mm)

2. Would you consider water cooling, given that I will be keeping disks to a minimum?

Any advice welcomed.
Happy New Year :thumb::fool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey 1nteger - long time no see, really great to see you back again :D. Happy New Year!

I can't really comment on water cooling, as I don't know enough about it anymore - but I don't think you'd need it so much anymore. Are you planning on pushing the CPU/GPU far?

As for the PSU, I quite like the look of this one - it will only just fit, but it's modular and rates really well:

http://www.ebuyer.com/429987-corsair-cx-series-cx-750m-atx-power-supply-cp-9020061-uk

Should be plenty of power there for future GPUs :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian. Happy New Year to you too...nice to be back (at least for a while!)

Thanks for the link...looks quite good. I was looking at this one too...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...ct-modular80plus-gold-120mm-silent-fan-eps12v

I like the fact it's a Silverstone (same as the case), compact (handy for the mATX setup) and rated 80+Gold.

Asus recommend a minimum 600W PSU for the GTX 580 vid. The card above is rated at 650 but has 700W peak output.

You think that should do the biz? Are the gold/silver/bronze ratings that important?

Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That one looks even better and also gives you a little more room to play with, and I think the extra space is going to be pretty handy!

The gold/silver/bronze ratings are just to do with efficiency, rather than anything to do with voltage stability or anything else... however a nice side effect of a more efficient PSU is that the heat (and sometimes noise) will be lower, so it could indirectly benefit a system. :)

Reaction score
Yup...just noticed a PSU with a Platinum rating...about £40 more expensive...and there are now Titanium ones too ...mainly for server applications though. Gold seems about the sweetspot though in terms of cost.

Ask a Question