New PC Build Now Finished! *Pics*

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The build up to this thread can be found here if your interested...
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3900670.php

Well Windows 7 launched today, and i celebrated by building a new Overclocked i7 system! :D

The specs are...

- Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz overclocked to 4.00GHz
- Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366) with 2 Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fans running in a 'Push Pull' config
- Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel Memory
- Asus GTX285 1024MB GDDR Video Card
- Creative X-Fi Xtreme Musc Sound Card
- Crucial M225 128GB Solid State Hard Disk for Windows
- 2x 500GB Hard drives for storage
- Corsair HX 850w Modular PSU
- Asus DVD Burner
- Lian Li PC-7FW
- Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Usual stuff outside the case includes a Samsung 2443 24" LCD Monitor, G15 and G5 Keyboard and mouse, Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers, G25 Racing Wheel.

So far i've installed most of my stuff, still got a few games to do, what can i say? Its fantastic so fast! Boots to the windows desktop in around 15 seconds, shut down in (and i'm not kidding) less than 5 Seconds. :eek:

Seems to be running stable, and cool too. Its quiet too. :)

CPUZ Screenie

attachment.php

Atto Benchmark of the SSD

attachment.php

My Windows Experience Index

attachment.php

Now, the pictures..... (All in the PCR Gallery)

cooler_original.jpg

tophalf_original.jpg

lowerhalf_original.jpg

poweron_original.jpg

drives_original.jpg

itlives_original.jpg

case1_original.jpg

insitue_original.jpg

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,377
  • atto_ssd.jpg
    atto_ssd.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,416
  • win score.jpg
    win score.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 662

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Super looking and performing by the sound of it :thumb::D:thumb:

Shame about the crappy looking beige fans ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Shame about the crappy looking beige fans ;)

Some people really have no class :rolleyes:

The Noctua fans are possibly the best performing computer fans on the planet, I've been running an identical cooling system to V_R for over a year now and the Noctua setup kicks ass.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I too was not sure about the beige/brown combination but they really do grow on you and I now really like how they look.

But, ya know, one man's Spare Ribs is another man's tripe and onions..... ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cant believe you said that about the Noctua fans Abarb.... :(

lol, they are superb fans i'll have you know.. ;)

I'm chuffed to bits with this pc, its awesome.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That machine is a BEAST! :D

I know this is a silly question... but what's it like for gaming? ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Cant believe you said that about the Noctua fans Abarb.... :(

lol, they are superb fans i'll have you know.. ;)

I'm chuffed to bits with this pc, its awesome.

I ain't saying the fans are bad at what they do. I know that the cooler and the fans are very good performers from all the reviews I read.
They is just a crap colour in my opinion. The red blades are ok but me I would have sprayed the carriers.
It is just a matter of personal taste.

As you can see from me profile pic I have impecable taste so these things matter to me
nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks all. :)

Ian: Tbh i haven't really tried it yet, was busy reinstalling and setting 7 up. But i shall give it a go tonight. Looking forward to continuing with Need For Speed: Shift again, i kinda put it on hold until this was done :)

Abarbarian said:
As you can see from me profile pic I have impeccable taste so these things matter to me
Well, i wasn't going to mention the carpet but.... :p

I'm still not happy about that 8pin over the top of the graphics card, going to get an extension for it and try and hide it. That reminds me. I'll post a pic of the back so you can see the cabling behind the scenes lol.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Beeoootiful V_R! It looks gorgeous and so very neat and tidy inside too (not a messy cable in sight!) I hope you get tons of enjoyment from it :D

By the way, have you noticed how many views this thread has had? Well over 200! :thumb: :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Excellent system V_R :thumb: - I'm now officially very jealous!! :nod:

Reaction score
Nice masheen there man, irrespective of coloured fans....lets know how modern warfare plays on it...need for speed aint my cuppa i'm afraid....mostly because i'm crappy at the drivin games lol.
Anyway i hope it serves you well, soldier.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Excellent system V_R :thumb: - I'm now officially very jealous!!
nod.gif

Have you still got the Q6600? Still got mine and it's chugging along well, although I have to resist upgrading everytime I see thread like this :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right well, just been playing some games and more tweaking/installing/generally messing about.

The CPU idles around 42 - 46 give or take room temp.
Loaded playing games it hit 60 - 61

Haven't tested it with prime yet, i'd expect it to hit about 70, still well within its limits.

As for gaming, well on my old system, (E6600, 4GB same video card) i could run Need for Speed Shift on max details but with only 2x AA.

Needless to say this played it perfectly at the same resolution (1920x1200) all max with 8xAA and 16AF with a minimum of 60 FPS. I didn't see it drop any lower at any point, and this was a single race with 15 other cars on the track at the same time! So i'm very happy right now. :D

Taffycat: Its tidy from the front anyway! This is the rear of the case where i've hid all the spare cabling. :)

1j2gyc.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Those temps seem a little high V_R.

Only experience of an i7 system I have is the one I built for me mate earlier this year.

I used the stock CPU cooler and temps went between 35 & 45C depending on what was going on.

He has XP installed on it and higher temps were reached playing TOCA 3 and CoD4 online.

I have a thread on the build here somewhere but it was a very similar setup to yours, but with Asus board.

Did you use Arctic Silver thermal compound?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I used MX3, supposed to be a little better and it doesn't have to 'cure' like AS5. :)

Dont forget the temps are at 4Ghz. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Have you still got the Q6600? Still got mine and it's chugging along well, although I have to resist upgrading everytime I see thread like this :D
Yep still have all 9 of them - but only have 2 connected up these days for me and the missus.......both still do the job well, but I'm getting tempted by this thread :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Yep still have all 9 of them - but only have 2 connected up these days for me and the missus.......both still do the job well, but I'm getting tempted by this thread :D

OMG 9 :eek: I didn't know you had that many! Shame you can't find a mobo that you can stick 8 in at once ;)

At least your house will be warm in Winter :D

Ask a Question