Windows Update from a central corporate server.

Zii Ell

Scenario:

We have visitors connect their laptops to our network.
Policy states that each laptop must have all latest W2k or Wxp patches
installed.

At the moment, after a virus scan, IT connects the laptop and runs Windows
Update. This is very time consuming.

What we want:

On a Windows Adv.Server have a daily task that downloads all the patches
from Microsoft for each MS Windows O/S.

These are placed on a share.

* Either each laptop ftps/mounts the share and copies down the somewhat
large exe and then updates itself just by a simple double click, or

* It can run the exe directly from the share/ftp and knows how to reconnect
it after the laptop has rebooted itself several times, as it does whenever
it runs the Windows Update tool.

Or if anyone can think of a better solution I'm all ears.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,
Zii.

Yor Suiris

I was at a seminar today where a MS VP talked about just this thing.
What you want is either SUS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx
or SMS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810766&Product=win2000
Which depends on your budget and size of the network.
--
Thanks for Your Time, Yor Suiris
Remove NOTs to reply.

"Zii Ell"