Windows 10 Microsoft updates HELP

Reaction score
I am keen to ensure my system remains up to date, particularly with security updates. However sometimes the updates from Microsoft have a serious impact on my laptop's performance, and this is a real pain at times. What I'd really like is to receive notifications that an update is available and then to instruct the system when to start these, when I take a break from the computer. (I'm sure this used to exist in previous generations?)

Is this possible? Can this be arranged through PC settings (by the way we call this PC upsettings in our house !) I have tried fiddling with various settings but can't work it out? I use Windows 10 home edition.

Thanks to anyone who can help

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I take it you are using Windows 10 ?? If so click the Start and hit Settings gear. From there go to Update & Security. From there you can change when updates etc happen.

Attachments

• windows10.png
    windows10.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 158

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I always set the updates to occur just before I go to bed, when the PC is doing nothing at all, and then I sit there and watch them being downloaded. They are usually done in 5-10 minutes. I've had the odd glitch after updates but nothing serious.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Forgot to add. Once you set your times you should also get a notification on your taskbar letting you know there are updates available.

Attachments

• update.png
    update.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 159
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. Yes an arrangement with the notifications is what I would like so I can choose when to let the system update.
Nivrip how do you set your downloads for a specific time?

This morning is a good example of my issues.

I switched my laptop and wifi on at 8am this morning, left it loading for 10 minutes or so, but when I started work the system was really slow, so I looked at the update section and it was already downloading an update. I currently have 'active hours' saved as 07:00 to 23:00 but it looks like 'active hours' only means it won't do a system restart between these times according to the wording on that page, rather than prevent now updates downloading?

I notice there's an option to pause updates for a number of days. Maybe I could do that but I would then have to remember to go back in to unpause updates when I'm taking a break, which is not ideal.

Sorry I'm very much an 'end user' of computers, and struggle with things which are probably really straightforward, so please bear with me.......

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. Yes an arrangement with the notifications is what I would like so I can choose when to let the system update.
Nivrip how do you set your downloads for a specific time?
By a strange coincidence I've done it this very morning with new updates.

Go into Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update. There you will see Restart Required and the details of the updates. Below that is the Restart Now box (quite prominent) and just to its right is Schedule the Restart ( it looks as though it's greyed out but isn't) which when clicked brings up Schedule A Time. Make sure you switch it to On and then adjust the hour and then the minutes in the centre grey area to the time you want. Click the tick at the bottom of the hours column and it's set.

Don't bother with Pause Updates.

Ask a Question