Windows 10 Microsoft blocks updates for old hardware

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Microsoft begins blocking updates for older Windows versions on newer hardware

Windows 7 is supported until 2020, and Windows 8.1 will get updates until 2023, right? Not if you're trying to run those older Windows versions on new hardware, as some frustrated customers discovered this week.

Anyone running an older version of Windows on new hardware received a rude shock this week when the latest Patch Tuesday updates rolled around.

Instead of receiving the latest security updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, those customers saw an error message instead.

Unsupported Hardware

Your PC uses a processor that isn't supported on this version of Windows and you won't receive updates.

Those greedy folk at Microsoft were orginaly going to stop extended updates on the Skylake platform which at the time of the original announcement had only just gone on sale.

When Microsoft initially announced the restrictions, they were also intended to impact some PCs that use 6th-generation Intel processors ("Skylake"), which went on sale in late 2015. The company backed off slightly on that plan, releasing a list of Skylake-based systems that will be fully supported. (Microsoft's official list of Skylake systems supported on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 was last updated in August 2016, shortly before the Kaby Lake launch.)

Skylake-based systems on the supported list will receive updates through the official end of Microsoft's extended support phase for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (Jan. 14, 2020, and Jan. 10, 2023, respectively). Systems that aren't on the supported list will lose access to updates for older Windows versions as of July 17, 2018.

:cool:

Reaction score
Typical Microsoft always about the money and not about the customer one good reason to go Linux.

Reaction score
I am so glad I deserted Microsoft:thumb: I have a feeling that many other people will do the same who are running Windows 7 and 8.1:user:. Welcome to a Linux distro near you:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Microsoft have always been bang out of order but I won't be ditching Win 7 or Win 10. I've still got a hard disk with XP on it too, very handy for running TOCA Race Car 3 and the like.

My view is I use Microsoft, they don't use me, and where possible I don't bow to their tune. I also use Linux. No brand loyalty or fanboyism here, I simply use what works for me.

Must admit I have got the pox about MS ditching Movie Maker though, that was a good little proggie :mad:

Reaction score
I agree with you Mr Flops, we the customer use what we need whether it be Linux, MS or Mac. I use Linux Mint because it does what I want (well most of the time:lol:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This isn't really a criticism, just an observation and something I encountered recently. I wanted to format a hard drive and in Windows I just right click on the drive and choose format in the drop down menu that appears. Or if the disk is unformatted find it in Disk management and do it there - simples.

I thought I'd try it in Linux - gordon bennet, what a palava. There is no easy way to do it in Linux - unless I'm a total doofus and I'm missing something - but it's a whole series of text commands. Bugger that for a game of cricket thought I and promptly shut down Mint, fired up Win 7 and done the job.

Linux isn't always the ideal choice.

But I will concede - it's free (well, most distros are).

Reaction score
I must admit I use the wifes PC which is W10 to do that sort of thing, OR try using a external docking station and when you put the drive in it Linux Mint asks whether you want to format the drive.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This isn't really a criticism, just an observation and something I encountered recently. I wanted to format a hard drive and in Windows I just right click on the drive and choose format in the drop down menu that appears. Or if the disk is unformatted find it in Disk management and do it there - simples.

I thought I'd try it in Linux - gordon bennet, what a palava. There is no easy way to do it in Linux - unless I'm a total doofus and I'm missing something - but it's a whole series of text commands. Bugger that for a game of cricket thought I and promptly shut down Mint, fired up Win 7 and done the job.

Linux isn't always the ideal choice.

But I will concede - it's free (well, most distros are).

No need for the command line in linux as most os's have gparted installed.

NmJT3es.png

2Tjeg96.png

OtrTOqz.png

Reaction score
By gum thanks for that Abarbarian I never thought of that. I wish one could get a simple basic training course of using Linux Mint Cinnamon.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
unless I'm a total doofus and I'm missing something...

See that above? That's me cop out clause - ha!

I was aware of Gparted but I wasn't aware it would format only, thought it was used only to make partitions. It's not installed in Mint Cinammon 18 by default but I've just installed it.

Had a quick look, it's seeing all three disks in use in the drop down menu and you can select each one.

That's as far as I've got so far though cos I got quite a few things going here atm. Will take a ganders later in the day.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
See that above? That's me cop out clause - ha!

I was aware of Gparted but I wasn't aware it would format only, thought it was used only to make partitions. It's not installed in Mint Cinammon 18 by default but I've just installed it.

Had a quick look, it's seeing all three disks in use in the drop down menu and you can select each one.

That's as far as I've got so far though cos I got quite a few things going here atm. Will take a ganders later in the day.

For those using extra hdd/ssd's for trying out other operating systems remember you need to manage the FLAGS settings to make the drive bootable.

kBC3lUt.png

ab4FhaB.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have no idea what this FLAGS settings is I'm afraid (and yes, I know, I could search it).

The machine in question has two storage HDDs and a hard disk caddy. I swap HDDs in and out of the caddy with different OSs on them and each time I change OS I change the boot sequence in the BIOS.

All I have to do to mount any of the storage disks is double click on them.

Gparted saw all three disks even when I hadn't mounted the two storage disks.

I haven't investigated the formatting option yet as I have no need to format a disk right at this moment.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have no idea what this FLAGS settings is I'm afraid (and yes, I know, I could search it).

When you format a whole drive or make a partition that you intend to run a os from you need to tick the "boot" option from the FLAGS drop down.

In the picture above I am booting MX-15 from sda2 an as you can see it has a boot flag.

Any os' on your caddy disks will already have this flag activated probably. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
By gum thanks for that Abarbarian I never thought of that. I wish one could get a simple basic training course of using Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Not quite Mint only but very useful, easy and free this course on basic linux would be great for you.

https://training.linuxfoundation.or...administration-training/introduction-to-linux

This course is:

• 100% online and self-paced
  • 40-50 hours of content designed by our Linux experts
  • Designed to give students a good working knowledge of Linux
  • Absolutely free via edx.org
$0
ENROLL NOW

Course Outline
Introduction to Linux
  1. The Linux Foundation
  2. Linux Philosophy and Concepts
  3. Linux Structure and Installation
  4. Graphical Interface
  5. System Configuration From The Graphical Interface
  6. Finding Linux Documentation
  7. Command Line Operators
  8. File Operations
  9. User Environment
  10. Text Editors
  11. Local Security Principles
  12. Network Operations
  13. Manipulating Text
  14. Printing
  15. Bash Shell Scripting
  16. Advanced Bash Scripting
  17. Processes
  18. Common Applications

You could put an operating system on one of those spare hdd's and use it in your docking station to run the course from. That way if you bork the system all you have to do is a quick fresh install and your main os is safe and secure.

Reaction score
I am having problems with my email address and my Internet provider at the moment as soon as I have solved I think I will take the course Abarbarian I will be speaking to one of the managers on Monday.

Ask a Question