Windows 10 Is it Safe to Disable Updates

Reaction score
Hi, ever since installing Windows 10, I have been plagued by forced updates I don’t want & that usually scew up my PC settings.

I stopped the automatic updates by disabling ‘Windows Update’ in my regestry but was concerened that I would not get important security updates.

I then set my system to ‘Meetered Connection’ where Microsoft claim that they would only download updates necessary to keep my PC running smothly. This seemed to work for a long time, but then 08/06/18 I got the dreaded blue message saying Microsoft were going to install the latest ‘Features’ update, full of stuff I don’t want. As there was no way of preventing this, short of disabling all updates, I let it happen. Features update Windows 10, version 1803.

Sure enough, it screwed up my PC. I went back to the previous build.

The following day the dreaded blue message saying Microsoft were going to install the latest ‘Features’ update appeard again. So I disabled ‘Windows Update’ in my regestry again.

I am worried that doing this I will not get important security updates.

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to leave ‘Windows Update’ disabled?

I am running Bitdefender Bitdefender Total Security 2018.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wouldn't advise it personally, but that's me.

Forgive me for saying but it seems more like a configuration issue than a Windows one. I've never had just problems with my Win10 install.

Reaction score
Thanks but I am sticking with 'Disabled' untill I can get any posative solution to the havock Win 10 updates cause me.
I have asked Bitdefender to comment.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Something is amiss somewhere else ... I don't get pestered with updates.

Was this a clean install or an updater from Win7 or something?

:user:

Reaction score
Clean update from Win 10 Home installed on PC when purchased.
If you don’t get problems, I think you are in the minority.

Look at the PC Review posts on Win 10

Look at the internet on Win 10, one comment:-

As a Windows 10 user, you may have noticed you’re always forced to install the Windows automatic updates (whether you like it or not). Whenever you’re working on your computer, Windows automatically updates the system, and you have to restart the system very often, spending so much time on updating and restarting. This’s frustrating, isn’t it?

Another comment:-
Windows as a Service means you need to get used to updates – not just on Patch Tuesday for security, but regularly for new features and bug fixes (especially if you opt in to the Windows Insider program and take flights of new Windows builds as soon as they're available).

Another comment:-
Forced Windows updates are the most disliked feature of Win 10.

Reaction score
Hi, response from Bitdefender:-
"Of course you are protected by Bitdefender Total Security. Our security solution works even if Windows updates are not enabled."
PS. Setting your system to ‘Metered Connection’ to prevent other than essential downloads, only works if you are connected by Wi-Fi.

Reaction score
Very Interesting VR.

I will look at connecting my PC via Wi-Fi & setting my system to ‘Metered Connection’ to prevent other than essential downloads

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Known Issues in June 2018 Windows 10 Cumulative Updates
Microsoft rolled out this month’s Windows 10 cumulative updates a few hours ago when the Patch Tuesday cycle officially started, and this time, this release also includes a bunch of known issues.

Given how challenging installing Windows 10 cumulative updates has proved to be in the past, it’s pretty important for everyone to take a look at these known issues, especially because it should help IT pros prepare for deployment and anticipate any problems that might be experienced.

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4284835 Might Be Failing to Install as Well

Windows 10 April 2018 Update has received a new cumulative update as part of this month’s Patch Tuesday cycle, and although it seemed to install correctly at first, it looks like some users are now hitting issues with this new release.

There are several posts on reddit pointing to such an issue, and for the time being, no workaround appears to be available. Manually installing the update does not correct this behavior.

Vulnerability Allows Windows 10 to Be Hijacked, Even When Locked

A vulnerability in Windows 10 allows attackers to easily hijack a computer even when locked, all by simply relying on digital assistant Cortana to execute the necessary commands.

An in-depth analysis of the vulnerability published by McAfee reveals that the “Hey, Cortana!” voice command, which is enabled by default in Windows 10 and can be triggered even from the lock screen when the device is locked, provides potential attackers with rights to see file info, content, and even allow arbitrary code execution.

An this is what Microsoft say about the April updates,

Windows 10 April 2018 Update: Fastest-Adopted Version, Fewer Bugs

Windows 10 April 2018 Update is the fastest-adopted version of Windows 10 so far, with nearly 250 million devices already running it, out of a total of approximately 700 PCs overall on the operating system. There are fewer bugs, Microsoft says, and the customer satisfaction is much improved.

:cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No issues like that here, and 4284835 installed fine for me.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I took Windows free upgrade from 8 to 10 when it was offered. I don't particularly like the idea of "forced" updates but have to say that I have not had any problems at all with them.

My PCs still run very smoothly and all updates have downloaded. :)

Reaction score
Forced updates also force a reboot. If you are not there when this happens & have a lot of work running, you can lose stuff &/or have to go through the tedious process of recovering files.

In my case, Excel, Word, Firefox, Dashlane + 2FA & my Quicken accounts system. The latter two requiring passwords.

I want my PC on 24/7, but if I must reboot I make sure I have saved & closed all open programs before rebooting.

I am happy to get essential updates e.g. security & fixes but do not want the persistent ‘Features’ updates which are full of stuff I don’t need for work & will never use.

Many updates have altered my settings, causing me more unnecessary work.

If you are happy with Microsoft taking control of your PC, fine, I am not.

Reaction score
Not really... if you want a short and sweet answer. Unless the computer in question is totally disconnected from the internet, then not really.

Reaction score
Hi all, despite my inclination to prevent Microsoft’s forced updates I have got into the habit of allowing updates once per week for security purposes.

As you all know, you can’t choose which updates to down load & install, you get whatever Microsoft choses to force on you.

I have seen comments re the infamous Windows 10 version 1809. The whole thing was such a mess that Microsoft actually had to recall the update and warn people to not install it. Fortunately for me, it failed to install on my PC.

I know that some members don’t agree with my views on Microsoft Updates. Read this:-

https://www.maketecheasier.com/late...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20112018

Ask a Question