Windows 7 Update issue

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi guys - I seem to be having an issue with updates on my Windows 7 PC (specs below my avatar.)

I have updates scheduled to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." It has always been that way.

The issue is that after clicking the download button, the progress-bar pulses, but the percentage remains at 0%. It has been this way since around 8:15 this morning.

Yesterday was the same. Only I tried re-starting; closing down fully and re-booting - all to no avail... although, something MUST be happening, because on closing-down, I got that message about "Don't disconnect, installing 1 of 1 update!" ... really..?

Our fiber internet connection is reasonably fast at 60+ Mb/sec, and normally, the download would occur pretty quickly. So I'm wondering whether I just need to sit-tight and wait for a week, or whether there is another way to speed things up a little?

Thank you for reading. :)

Windows 7 update.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Good luck with that TC, I think I would go on the net and see if any one else is having problems.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Good luck with that TC, I think I would go on the net and see if any one else is having problems.
Well to be honest, I have already tried this, but some of the "advice" seems to be a little conflicted. "Delete this" or "Rename that..." can sound "good" but it's not easy to know whether it really is good advice, or will skew my system even more. (Yeah, I'm such a trusting soul, lol.) :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww thank you @V_R ... by coincidence, I was just reading the article by Woody Leonhard! I shall check-out your other two links as well though. :thumb:

I might just refrain from kicking the CPU now. ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Success! Thank you again @V_R! You qualify to receive this week's virtual TC hug. :cheers:

For anyone else who might be interested; downloading KB 3172605 worked for me. Following a re-start, the updates downloaded and installed within about 10 minutes. Yay! :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a Win 7 install and I haven't been able to receive updates for at least nine months now.

I just assumed Microsoft had stopped supporting Win 7 so it never bothered me much but I will check out V_R's links.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sweet, glad its fixed! I've made a mental note in case I run into it in the future. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I just assumed Microsoft had stopped supporting Win 7 so it never bothered me much but I will check out V_R's links.
The security updates should run for a few years yet Flopps:
"Extended support" -- the period during which Microsoft continues to provide for free security updates for products -- doesn't end until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 SP1.
www.zdnet.com

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Good to know you got a fix Taffycat.

I solved my W7 update problems with this tool.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

Used it three times now and it works a treat. :dance:
Thanks @Abarbarian - I will also bookmark your link, just in case there are any further problems.

(It is good to see you back on the Forums btw, I hope your recent surgery went smoothly and you are making a good recovery? :nod))

Reaction score
Hi guys - I seem to be having an issue with updates on my Windows 7 PC (specs below my avatar.)

I have updates scheduled to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." It has always been that way.

The issue is that after clicking the download button, the progress-bar pulses, but the percentage remains at 0%. It has been this way since around 8:15 this morning.

Yesterday was the same. Only I tried re-starting; closing down fully and re-booting - all to no avail... although, something MUST be happening, because on closing-down, I got that message about "Don't disconnect, installing 1 of 1 update!" ... really..?

Our fiber internet connection is reasonably fast at 60+ Mb/sec, and normally, the download would occur pretty quickly. So I'm wondering whether I just need to sit-tight and wait for a week, or whether there is another way to speed things up a little?

Thank you for reading. :)

View attachment 10305
I've had the same problem, To fix. I had to enable automatic updates once updates are installed went back and disable automatic updates. This worked for me hope it works for you.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Sort of on the road to recovery. here is a re post from an answer I made at another place.

[QUOTE]Cranky ,,,,,,,,hmmmm only for a day or two. The meds were making me feel really strange so stopping them was quite a relief. I stopped smoking a couple of days before me op as the doc said it would really help with the bone repairing itself. Since I have been smoking woodstock style since the age of 16 I found it surprisingly easy. The fear of the bone not healing may have made the difference. had a couple of bifftas three times since so I recon I done pretty well.
Seem to be on the mend though had a scare two days ago as I had some bleeding from one end of the scar. Spent a scary afternoon at the local hospital. X-rays showed the plate and screws ok, phew that was some relief. Doc reconed that the knot from the self dissolving stitches was the cause of the blood leak. The stitches had dissolved inside the wound and left the knot outside which did not dissolve but had been pulled out of the wound by being caught on clothing etc. This had left a very small hole, hence the leak. This healed over and no more leaking. Phew I was well and truly spooked for a day and night thinking that stuff had gone wrong and I would have to do the whole op and recovery trail again.

Seeing the consultant on the 14th in the morning and am moving home down to Wales on the 15th, super fast (for me that is) fibre broadband connected on the 19th so expect to see me around loads as I will still be recovering and semi house bound and the winter weather will keep me inside too.

My thoughts and best wishes to the other members having a tough time this year. [IMG]http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/public/style_emoticons/default/breakfast.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that you're making good progress @Abarbarian, despite that rather scary set-back. :nod:

Here's wishing you a smooth move on the 15th, and hoping you will soon feel settled in your new home. Great to know that you will have a speedier broadband connection than you've been used to, enjoy! :thumb: It will be good to see you frequenting the corridors of PCR again, we've missed ya! :D

Reaction score
Yes good luck in the move, don't try to over do things now you are only just recovering from the Operation don't want any setbacks after what you have been through.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that you're making good progress @Abarbarian, despite that rather scary set-back. :nod:

Here's wishing you a smooth move on the 15th, and hoping you will soon feel settled in your new home. Great to know that you will have a speedier broadband connection than you've been used to, enjoy! :thumb: It will be good to see you frequenting the corridors of PCR again, we've missed ya! :D

Ta fer the thoughts from you an other folk.

Plate a screws seem to be still in place and looking good. Scar tissue, apart from the slight scare, is looking top notch and has made excellent progress the last few days. Also all the muscles, shoulder, chest and biceps seem to have loosened of in the last few days , almost as if me body has said time to loosen up and get fit and back at it, it certainly is nothing I have done conciously.
All the above has lessened me stress levels quite a lot.
I am seeing the consultant on 14th an I guess he will want another x-ray done which will hopefully confirm that all is well. Only up to a point though as x-rays do not show if a bone has knitted together or not. You can tell from an x-ray in some circumstances if bones have knitted, say on a femur break, where the bones join you can see a ridge of new bone at the join. On my clavicle with the plate I think it will be darn hard to make out a ridge of new bone as it will be pretty small. Only way to tell for certain is with a CT scan as far as I can tell. So has it or has it not knitted properly is a Q that is bothering me a tad. Mind you them bone docs are clever chaps so maybe he has a trick or two up his sleeve. I'll keep me fingers crossed.

leek_spin_emoticon_by_trickster_nuii.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Plate a screws seem to be still in place and looking good.
Maybe a slight name-change is in order here, Bionicbarian sort of trips off the tongue. ;) But aww, you have really been going through the mill from the sound of it. But, as you say, those bone docs are indeed clever, so I'm sure yours will have done a great job of restoring your inner-man.

That, plus some good, restorative Welsh air, will soon have you on the road to recovery. Ooh - and can I recommend getting a pet leek? They are pretty easy to care-for, are non-aggressive, and only require occasional, gentle exercise. Just as this person has discovered.....
Pet%20Leek.jpg

Reaction score
Thinking of you Abarbarian it must be a tough time for you moving on top of the Doctor Saw Bones episode, just take it easy. As far as laking a leek for walk I would fit a muzzle they can have a nasty bite and that on top of your existing problems would not be good.:lol:

Ask a Question