Windows 10 Not Done It

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Decided to have a look at the procedure for getting Win 10.

Firstly I have NEVER had the magical icon that everyone else seems to have had. I have Win 7, and it is a genuine copy, and I have always had all the updates downloaded including SP1.

I went onto MS site and there is an article regarding those who never got the icon. It suggests running a dedicated troubleshooter which supposedly will tell me if my system is compatible with Win 10 ( it should be, all is legit.). The troubleshooter scans the computer, for a long time BTW, and then tells me that I am missing Update KB3035583 which is very important for the appearance of the Win 10 icon. I check in Installed Updates and find that this update has been successfully downloaded a couple of weeks ago. Thinking the download may be in some way faulty I uninstall it and then reinstall ( successfully it tells me). Still no luck.

I eventually uninstall and reinstall it several times to no avail. The troubleshooter then carries on for another long period and tells me that I am missing Update KB2952664 but sure enough it's on the Installed Update list as being successfully downloaded on 21/07/2015. It suggests I download it again through a link which I use. This time I'm asked to where I want to download it but I've never had this asked before and am not sure where to save it so I simply choose Local Disc and there it now sits. Should it be saved in some specific folder and if so where?

I seem to be making no progress at all. I am told that I am missing updates but there they are on the list. :wall:

Any ideas?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Niv - my little icon took a while to arrive on my Win 7 PC too, despite having the required updates, etc. But eventually it appeared and I now receive little nag pop-ups which invite me to either reserve, or actually download Win 10.

I have found a (rather long and involved) set of instructions on the answers.microsoft website, which might be of some help(?)

I'm prepared to be nagged for a little longer yet though. I know that the change will need to be made at some point, of course, but think I'm going to be a dinosaur and hold out for a bit. :)

Reaction score
I'm with you Niv, Absolutely no rush to update? Install?

I have only been using Win7 for 4 years or so, so quite frankly the £125 I spent is not ready to be forgotten about.
Taking into the fact My parents installed it on their Laptop last week. My dad had a complete nightmare with it to the point he took his laptop back to PCWorld and asked them to delete and reinstall Win7. That cost him money

I am quite weary tbh

Reaction score
I have downloaded both x32 and x64 versions of Pro. They currently reside on my desktop waiting to be burned to a Dual Layer DVD. Still I'm in no rush. Oh the Icon did appear on my task bar eventually

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you are one of the lucky people, like me, who are NOT being pestered by MS to 'upgrade' their system to Win 10.

I too have all the necessary updates, but no 'flashing' icone that pesters you every time one logs on ... :)

You can simply go download from the link above and get your copy of Windows 10 ... it's what I did for the laptop I have for testing.

I'll say it again ... if you have Win 7, then wait ... and wait some more. There is NO gleaming brand spanking new thingamajig anything you MUST HAVE NOW! that will make your "experience" any better than what it is under Win 7.

I do feel, however, that those people running Windows 8 go and truly upgrade to Win 7, err, I mean Windows 10, especially if using a phone. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it Niv, I've had it on my machine less than 24 hours and the damn thing's driving me loopy.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, I've downloaded it from the link. It took about 2 hours. I'm now faced with a screen that says I'm ready to install but I don't really want to just yet. I want to keep it for a (much) later date but there is no Save option just Install. If I don't install where will I find it in the future if I do decide to?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I downloaded Win 10 from the 'pop-up', after the download was complete it gave me the option to set a schedule for install, did you not get that Niv?

Ask a Question