Windows 7 Keeps rebooting

Reaction score
Not too sure if this is a software problem but I have noticed that my wife's PC on closed down recently, closes down then after about three to four seconds re boots as if it on a restart, The only way to stop it is to turn off the power supply and then turn it back on and that solves the problem. Any ideas guy's. Spec for the PC is home build, Windows 7 Home 64 bit, CPU Intel 6600 240ghz, RAM 4 GB', Foxcon MB 945 7AD series, updates and patches up to date, Graphics GeForce 8600GTS. The only thing I can think of is I have not updated the MB drivers and Bios.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I had the same issue as you have. did this which I found on social/technet site and it worked for me.

Try this: Press (Windows Key)+R and type in regedit and hit enter. Locate the following key:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Double Click on "PowerdownAfterShutdown"

Then,
Change it to "0" if it is "1" OR
Change it to "1" if it is "0".

And hit Enter.

Then restart the computer and after it restarts try to shutdown again. Hopefully this will work for you. :)

***If this doesn't work make sure you change the value in regedit back to what it was originally***

Reaction score
:bow:Thanks for the help Evan:Dunfortunately it did notwork After:( I tried your fix I found that it made no difference the PC kept re booting, so I tried several time with the same result. So I thought I would try the windows Boot and repair disc. and the PC would not boot from the CD/DVD D drive so I went into BIOS and checked the settings and the D drive was set for 1st boot drive. At that I gave up took out the C drive and replaced with another formatted hard driveinsertedthe Windows 7 installation disc and rebuilt the software all seems to be OK at the moment. I am a bit frustrated at the moment as this week it was my hard drive that packed up now there is a problem with she who must be obeyed PC. At least I have got a file back up hers which will help.:dance:

Last edited:

Ask a Question