Help the wife's PC up the shute

Reaction score
I hope some one can help otherwise my life aint worth living. When her indoors turns her PC on it ether freezes on the Mother board flash screen or if I am lucky if I enter Alt+F it will have a display come up which will ask which boot method hard drive or CD rom. When you choose hard drive it will boot, but for that time only. I have been into the BIOS and checked the settings and they are set for 1st boot CD rom, second Boot hard drive which was the original boot settings and worked till yesterday.

The system is as Follows:-
Manufacturer : Home built
Motherboard : Foxconn 945 7AD Series(775)
CPU : Intel Core 2 Dual E6600 2.4Ghz
RAM : 4x 1Gig

I have just noticed after going into Speccy that one stick of RAM is not showing so it looks like I will have to replace that as well.

Any help in this problem would be most appreciated by an old gentleman who hasn't got much of a clue on the technical bit.

Reaction score
Have you tried removing that stick of RAM first?

If it still does it, replace the first stick and remove second stick (if you have two?)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Initial suspicion is faulty RAM.

As TXD suggested, try swapping the sticks of memory in and out and see if system boots.

Even better run memtest and test one stick of RAM at a time.

And I'd put Bios boot option back to hard disk.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A couple of quid for a new " coms " battery solved a similar problem for me recently. :cool:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and I would remove the cable to the CD drive and try a boot. Follow the ram nose also.

:user:

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions, I will have to go up to the loft as I have (I hope) some RAM packed away in my parts box. If that does not work I will try the other suggestions. I will let you know how I get on. Once again thanks for the suggestions:thumb:.

Reaction score
:thumb:Well problem solved it was a stick of RAM now replaced also the hard drive was connected to SATA connection 4 and not 0 that did not help as the BIOS could not find it as it only saw it as a secondary hard drive. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions it was a great help. A friend of mine suggested that it could be the mobo and BIOS corruption and he made me a bit worried about that I must say. Glad to say you guy's were right and he was not. Thanks again for your assistance.:bow:

Ask a Question