Windows 7 Don't panic: Microsoft mistakenly posted a 'test' Windows update patch

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Microsoft confirmed Wednesday that a suspicious-looking update pushed out to Windows machines globally in the early hours was nothing more than a test gone errant.

win-update.jpg

A spokesperson said that the company had "incorrectly published a test update" and is in the process of removing it.

It follows an hour or two of brewing concern on social media, forums, and news-sharing sites that the Windows Update service had been compromised in some way.

The "important"-rated patch, appeared on Wednesday as a supplemental language update, rather than a security fix.

The patch was 4.3MB in size, according to a thread on Microsoft's support forums, and contained gibberish text for its name, description, and strange and inaccessible links in the "more information" and "help and support" part.

More than 17,200 people have viewed the thread so far, while others have taken to Twitter and message boards like Hacker News and Reddit to complain.

The patch is thought to have been pushed through consumer machines running Windows 7. Enterprise users running Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) don't seem to be affected.

In most cases, the patch failed to install. In one case, a user said after the successful installation, his laptop was "screwed," describing frequent crashes and that it "killed my system and compromised my gear."

It's not immediately clear what was inside the patch, or whether it modified any Windows files. In any case, the Windows Update system is a core and vital part of keeping computers around the world up-to-date. Shaking confidence in that system is going to have a lasting effect, especially in a day and age of almost daily hacks and ongoing government surveillance.

We'll have more as it lands.

Source: ZDNET

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
reminds me of 1995 ... it was gibberish also ... come to think on it, I don't remember 1995

I'm not drunk, I'm a diabetic ... normal service will resume ASAP

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I spotted this on another forum, no reason to doubt or disbelieve, MS showing their true colours, they're out to get you despite all their promises.

... if you roll back to Windows 7 after the Windows 10 upgrade, there are a lot of things broken. I have to delete font cache .dat files, remove storage controllers in device manager (it doesn't even show the DMA settings amiss... just slow disk i/o) and reboot to let Windows reprogram them and fix stupid broken "recent" start menu behaviour etc.

... and to add insult to injury, the Windows 10 upgrade notification comes back and nags, and (wait for it...) the option to uninstall it is gone. It's not a normal startup program, it loads with the shell and haven't been bothered to figure out how (time consuming random problems to fix as it was), so I have been killing GWX.exe and renaming the c:\windows\system32\GWX directory. It doesn't cause any error messages or delays doing that.

So do you really believe that 'mistaken patch' was really a mistake?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I spotted this on another forum, no reason to doubt or disbelieve, MS showing their true colours, they're out to get you despite all their promises.

So do you really believe that 'mistaken patch' was really a mistake?

Absolutely ! That Nadella guy never tells lies.

Ooooooops wait on I meant Mandela. :lol:

Ask a Question