Windows Vista Windows Defender won't work since installing McAfee Security Centre

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I'm running Windows Vista on a Vaio laptop - Core2 Duo 2.26, 4GB RAM. It came with a free trial of McAfee anti-virus software and I never had any problems. I just subscribed to McAfee and installed Security Centre, but now I get an error message every time I turn the laptop on because Windows Defender won't start up!

Since I can't even start it up, I can't even change the settings to not use it. It brings up the following error message...

Application failed to initialise: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start the service manually.

Needless to say, 'Help and Support' is not very helpful or supportive.

Reaction score
Noooooo !!!!!!
Problem lies there in McAfee, live with the devil and demons will visit.
McAfee's security is probably preventing it from working.
McAfee is reknowned for issues like this, including preventing dhcp from working, messing up sharing etc.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ouch!!

Sorry, in my eyes McrapAfee is a virus in it's own right, may as well be ...

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Try this it will cure your problem. :thumb:

welcome to PCR ;)

Reaction score
Hi

As McAfee has its own Antispy etc Why dont you just stop Windows Defender from starting at start-up its not very good anyway,

Start>type in the search box msconfig then click on Enter

Go to the start-up tab and stop Defender from staring at start-up

muckshifter

Reaction score
mfletch said:
Hi

As McAfee has its own Antispy etc Why dont you just stop Windows Defender from starting at start-up its not very good anyway,

Start>type in the search box msconfig then click on Enter

Go to the start-up tab and stop Defender from staring at start-up
HuH!! :wall:

Way back in December 2004, Microsoft purchased Giant Company Software, which not coincidentally at the time made the best anti-spyware package in the world, Giant Antispyware.
:nod:

Windows Defender combines the best-of-breed spyware detection and removal functionality from the old Giant Antispyware product and turns it into a stellar application that all Windows users should immediately download and install.
:wave:

Highly recommended. :p

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
HuH!!
wallbash.gif

nod.gif

happywave.gif

Highly recommended. :p

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

user.gif

Each to there own some like it some don't I don't I would recommend SAS or MBAM

Has your Defender ever detected anything

muckshifter

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

oh dear, did I tread on your toes ... if you bothered to search some of this forum you'd see I have also advocated the use of Superspyware & MalwareBytes

and yes, Defender has notified me on several occasions, but then I do venture onto some shady site on occasions in the course of my travels.

:wave:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
:rolleyes:

oh dear, did I tread on your toes ... if you bothered to search some of this forum you'd see I have also advocated the use of Superspyware & MalwareBytes

and yes, Defender has notified me on several occasions, but then I do venture onto some shady site on occasions in the course of my travels.

happywave.gif

Its just good constructive banter about good and not so good software

Reaction score
I don't think it's related to McAfee, although it turns Windows Defender status to manual and it stops it, I had the same problem and I managed to solve it
Treatment:
Go to CONTROL PANEL and then ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then click on SERVICES. Scroll down to find Windows Defender and u will be surprised it will be disactivated, right click on it go to PROPERTIES and set it up as automatic. click APPLY and restart ur computer. JOB DONE VOILA!
Cheeriyo!

Last edited:

Ask a Question