• Next time I buy a PC

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • No!

Votes: 57 40.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
*sigh*

Look, my friend, I'm within the confines of a forum that has to stay within the limits of the law and by law, I mean intellectual law as well. This makes me somewhat tongue tied :)

Up until now, it's been easy to 'back-up' one's legally purchased audio CD's and DVD's within Windows XP.

I read here that Vista may make that objective more difficult.

Hence my comment about Microsoft becoming more like Apple.

The subject of 'free' mp3's, p2p, m4a format et al is a deep one and one I could comment on at great length, but I won't go into that here.

My definition of fairplay and the RIAA/BPI's definition of fairplay differ somewhat.

All I'll say is this. Through my involvment with music over the last 36 years, I have probably lined the pockets of more musicians and music company staff than many of their agressive advertising campaigns ever did.

Hearing music generates sales of music. 'Try before you buy' works.

I know if I hear something and I like it, I want the full blown CD with the packaging, not just a bunch of files.

And that, I think, is quite enough for me to say on the subject, other than the fact I want the freedom to burn.

Linux gives me that freedom, incidentally, although it does take a little searching/configuring.

I am going to try and put this as simlpy for you as possible. Windows or Mac OS has no inherent DRM is music, video or any other media files UNLESS you download them from a store. Therefor, I am hoping that it is clear to you at this point that there is NO difference between Apple or Microsoft's practices regarding copy protection. You AGAIN compare Microsoft to Apple which is just plain uninformed when you should be comparing ONLINE MUSIC STORES and their policies. Your underlying assumption is just plain wrong.
Are there no restrictions for burning copy protected media in XP? I think there are. Would there be restrictions for burning copy protected media in Linux or OS X? You betcha, because that's the WHOLE POINT of DRM. Maybe I've missed your point and I hope I have because either you have no clue what you're talking about or you just like pointing fingers.

I do not mean to give you any 'tude... bro. Just setting the record straight for any bystanders.

Reaction score
As i cant upgrade from Windows 98SE, think i may go for XP and see how that works before going for Vista. At least i'm learning more about pc's in general so not only could i build one now, but offer advice as well:D

Just got to have the time to build one, oh and of course get my wallet out;)

Reaction score
Some Small Kinks

I will definatly upgrade to VISTA after a few years because MICROSOFT needs time to work out all the little kinks.

Reaction score
I more than likely will go with Vista when it's out, am looking into a Dell solution at the moment for a new build, fedup with building my own and having seperate warranties on parts etc...

I expect when Vista comes out, all Dell machines will be pushed over to Vista once the drivers are there which wont take that long.

Reaction score
Not a Chance, I dont like the new anti-piracy features

They check to ensure your version is legit?
The only reason they have done this is the price is going up again... When it was £50 for an oem of win95, I liked windows, but now... never going to buy it, i have XP because it came with my PC, but I wont even buy a pc with XP on it again... Since I custom build, my desktops will be Linux, but any laptops that come with it will just have to be wiped, lets hope HP do the right thing and start selling laptops without windows......

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
alienzed said:
I am going to try and put this as simlpy for you as possible.

Thank you :)

alienzed said:
Windows or Mac OS has no inherent DRM is music, video or any other media files UNLESS you download them from a store. Therefor, I am hoping that it is clear to you at this point that there is NO difference between Apple or Microsoft's practices regarding copy protection. You AGAIN compare Microsoft to Apple which is just plain uninformed when you should be comparing ONLINE MUSIC STORES and their policies.

We seem to be going over old ground here, see my reply above.

alienzed said:
Your underlying assumption is just plain wrong.

You assuming I have an underlying assumption is just plain wrong.

alienzed said:
Are there no restrictions for burning copy protected media in XP? I think there are. Would there be restrictions for burning copy protected media in Linux or OS X? You betcha, because that's the WHOLE POINT of DRM. Maybe I've missed your point and I hope I have because either you have no clue what you're talking about or you just like pointing fingers.

I do not mean to give you any 'tude... bro. Just setting the record straight for any bystanders.

Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about :)

There you go again, assuming. You think I like pointing fingers do you? :rolleyes:

The Apple OS and their new systems actually look very attractive to me. One OS can be legally put onto five machines as well.

I think, my friend, you're just trying to stir things up. I think my last post - the one you have quoted - says all I'm going to say on the subject. Apart from replying to any personal attacks.

Reaction score
I was looking fwd to Vista but after installing IE7 I'm having 2nd thoughts.

I must be getting old. All this windows live streamlining is too much for me :blush:

Reaction score
Hi.
I can`t find any recent posts on this subject,hope I`m not to late.
But now that "Vista" has been released what are the opinions of the
members now?
Has any one tried it yet,and if so is it better than XP or worse?
I do like XP.
Historian

Reaction score
not.a.dime.from.me..:F oh & a new PC with winXP...

+ vi$ta Transformation Pack :)

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well when i have a reason to upgrad to Vista ( besides DX10) then we'll see

Reaction score
I voted for no, as it's the closest to my real answer. Which is: ONLY if no new OS-s appear and only when the final release is released.

Reaction score
Nope i will not be upgrading to windoes vista until i know what new things are on vista also how fast it is going to be i have heard from other members that windows vista is not that fast compared to windows xp so i have decided i am staying with xp in fact i am use to xp and i think windows xp might be well faster than the windows vista until i know wheather the vista is fast or not i will not be upgrading to vista or changing my mind:)

The simpsons:)

Reaction score
No way vista hog ram in a big way.

one the spec you need to run it and the price is a big let down.

unless M$ pull support for windows xp then yes.

Windows xp is fine and can run on low end pc.

Reaction score
I'll wait until at least Vista SP1 is available, and even then I'll probably need a more hardware to get it to crawl…

Reaction score
Windows Vista SP1 is available already. The thing is, still too much problems. Bugs,unfixed error etc.
It wants too good specs, yes as BigJohn said ,and unfortunately it isn't worth all of it.
Here I go talking bad about Vista again...but God knows as I know too, I always get new stuff...I'm getting Vista in couple of months...
I just like new stuff, and when I upgrade to Vista I will be able to observe the flaws and exploits, and of course, I will be able to help Vista users with problems, and again, God knows there are millions now!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Vista....i do like playing newer games....but how much is it again? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just realised I voted No in this poll :blush:

Alf - seventy English pounds or thereabouts for Vista Home Premium ;)

And it's far from perfect but it ain't too shabby :)

Ask a Question