• Next time I buy a PC

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • No!

Votes: 57 40.7%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Microsoft's Vista Operating System is only months from release now - do you think you will upgrade anytime soon?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No way Hos'e.... I will not be tied down to a system due to copyright and the protection built into vista which will stop me from burning a CD or DVD...:(

I haven't paid out for DVD/CD burners and software for an operating system to render them useless, and worthless...

Billy Boy ain't getting my money this time i'm afraid..:mad:

Reaction score
Will wait until at least the 1st service pack is issued for sure, but will also take in to account what those who have tested the beta version think of it and see what problems occur when it is released. The price will also be a factor.

Of course many may have to a lot sooner if Microsoft decide to stop offering support for XP!:rolleyes:
Good way to get punters to change to Vista:rolleyes: :eek:

As Linux is free i may well migrate to it instead.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
No way Hos'e.... I will not be tied down to a system due to copyright and the protection built into vista which will stop me from burning a CD or DVD...:(

Is that true? :eek: They be getting as bad as Apple if that's the case.

First I heard of that, got any links?

I was going to buy a copy of Vista a few months after it came out or maybe when the first service pack was released, but not so sure now. I figured it was about time I bought one of their OS's, after all.....

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep! I'll buy it. :)

No, I'm not joking ... I'll still use Linux for my DVD collection, I have two DVDs.
nod.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
nope, some of it looks cool and it seems to work ok but the whole DRM thing has gone too far so i'm sticking with XP as long as possible then i'm gonna move over too mac's unless someone finds a way around all of the drm crap that vista is to be shipped with

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Vista? No

I might be wrong but I think I remember reading somthing a few months ago saying that M$ weren't releasing Vista with new PCs?

Anyhow, I recently bought a new PC with XP (obviously) and I never invest in new OSs unless they come free with a PC.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
No way Hos'e....
i think u mean Jose :D

i think i will eventually get it, perhaps a year or so after release- unless its going to be expensive... then i think i can hang onto windows xp until the next generation of games comes out for Vista .... Gears of War anyone?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update:

I don't think I will, no, DRM crapola.

Will use Linux more and more, mostly Suse or PCLOS, whichever does the audio/video/office/grafix thing the best.

Will hang on to Win XP for as long as poss for games, I figure it should be good for five years yet.

And, I thought I'd never say this, but in five years time I think Apple may have progressed to the stage where mainstream games will be released for their OS.

And also Linux. Think about some Linux OS's right now. Quite easy to use. So where in five year's time?

I'd like to think so :)

Whatever, from what I read about Microsh*t, this, for me, is the final straw.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Is that true? :eek: They be getting as bad as Apple if that's the case.

What are you talking about? Apple has NO restrictions of the sort and never has. Their OS doesn't even require a serial for god's sake!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
alienzed said:
What are you talking about? Apple has NO restrictions of the sort and never has. Their OS doesn't even require a serial for god's sake!

Which god's sake are we talking about here?

Ok, here's what I'm referring to:

This

And this

This one's quite good :)

And I could provide dozens more links.

I was not referring to the Apple OS.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And here's a link to an article which perfectly sums up Apple's stance:

I-Tunes

You will note I made my comment which you've quoted with reference to Vista supposedly disallowing burning of some Audio CD's and DVD's.

Reaction score
alienzed said:

Nice of you to introduce yourself with a well mannered 1st post mate well done you gona go far :D

Reaction score
I see, well you're refering the iTunes Music Store, which in my opinion is a more or less separate entity to Apple itself if you're looking at DRM. To me, you made it sound like Apple imposed some kind of limitations to burning CD's or DVD's in general, you made no mention of iTunes whatsoever so please excuse my confusion.
Besides, how can you blame Apple or even Microsoft for their DRM. DRM is the only reason the record labels even allow online music stores to exists. If you don't want any DRM then buy the CD from Amazon and if you think an online music store can do better, go right ahead and open one up.
Just out of curiosity, what DO you expect from these companies and why is FairPlay so bad?

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Nice of you to introduce yourself with a well mannered 1st post mate well done you gona go far :D

I dunno, I guess I felt like trolling.
Don't worry though, I am not here to start any fires.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
alienzed said:
I see, well you're refering the iTunes Music Store, which in my opinion is a more or less separate entity to Apple itself if you're looking at DRM. To me, you made it sound like Apple imposed some kind of limitations to burning CD's or DVD's in general, you made no mention of iTunes whatsoever so please excuse my confusion.
Besides, how can you blame Apple or even Microsoft for their DRM. DRM is the only reason the record labels even allow online music stores to exists. If you don't want any DRM then buy the CD from Amazon and if you think an online music store can do better, go right ahead and open one up.
Just out of curiosity, what DO you expect from these companies and why is FairPlay so bad?

*sigh*

Look, my friend, I'm within the confines of a forum that has to stay within the limits of the law and by law, I mean intellectual law as well. This makes me somewhat tongue tied :)

Up until now, it's been easy to 'back-up' one's legally purchased audio CD's and DVD's within Windows XP.

I read here that Vista may make that objective more difficult.

Hence my comment about Microsoft becoming more like Apple.

The subject of 'free' mp3's, p2p, m4a format et al is a deep one and one I could comment on at great length, but I won't go into that here.

My definition of fairplay and the RIAA/BPI's definition of fairplay differ somewhat.

All I'll say is this. Through my involvment with music over the last 36 years, I have probably lined the pockets of more musicians and music company staff than many of their agressive advertising campaigns ever did.

Hearing music generates sales of music. 'Try before you buy' works.

I know if I hear something and I like it, I want the full blown CD with the packaging, not just a bunch of files.

And that, I think, is quite enough for me to say on the subject, other than the fact I want the freedom to burn.

Linux gives me that freedom, incidentally, although it does take a little searching/configuring.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well thought out and put mr flopp's....

We on this forum do not wish to placate Apple or any other company out there, but we don't want to buy software that has protection built into it that is going to stop us doing tasks the general public have been doing on there pc's for years, ie burning copys of their own Dvd's/Cd's...

Ask a Question