Two PC set up to one monitor

CSB

Reaction score
Right, well I set up my old Antec P160 case again a week ago and didn't have the space or another spare monitor to set it up elsewhere in the house. It is sitting under the desk (beneath the Antec 1200 which is my sig) so it is out of the way. "Tidy" as we say in Wales.

I've got another keyboard and mouse so that wasn't an issue and can just be tucked underneath on top of the P160 case when not in use. The video output was ok as my Antec 1200 is connected via white DVI output on the monitor and the Antec is connected to the same monitor via the blue VGA connection, so right!, up and away I was last night when of course I had no sound. A quick look online and I found a cheap 3.5mm jack audio cable for the P160 and a splitter cable so both the audio jacks for the Antec 1200 and P160 can be connected together via the single audio in jack on the monitor.

With that said, how can I share the internet, unless I get a wirless usb kit like my brother uses as he lives in at work and connects to their WiFi router. I got it for him from Kustompc and was only approx £15. I can't remember as I havn't seen him in a while but I think it would involve another plug. I have enough cables/plugs behind the systems as it is lol

Anyone else got this type of set up? Or is there a better way to go about it??? Answers on a postcard :lol:

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If I've got this right, a KVM switch is what you want. :thumb:

I use one and it is fine. Have even run 3 PCs to one monitor with one mouse and one keyboard. :)

Get one on Ebay. :thumb:

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Some great advice which I'll certainly keep in mind. I'm liking the KVM switch. I did hear of them before but was unsure what they were used for. I can see clearly .... now that the rain has gone ..... I can see all obstacles in my way la la la .... :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my bedroom setup I use the monitor for two machines, my main machine is plugged into the HDMI or DVI socket (can't remember offhand) and an old Socket A machine running Win 98 is plugged into the VGA socket. Each has it's own keyboard/mouse and the audio is taken into two channels of a Pioneer A-400 amplifier.

The keyboard and mouse for the Win 98 machine reside happliy on top of a loudspeaker out of the way when not in use. The Win 98 machine is purely for old games that won't play in other OS's although with the way GOG (Good Old Games) are gradually converting lots of old games to work within Win Vista/7/8 this machine may soon be redundant.

There's now only a few games I have that will only work with Win 98, Outlaws and Breakneck are two of them.

The monitor has to be switched off and on again when swapping machines and obvioulsy I can't have both machines switched on at once, but the setup works so no real need for a KVM for me.

CSB

Reaction score
If it ain't broke it don't need fixing does it Flops.

I think I'll keep my current set up the same as yours Flops as the additional keyboard can easily be put away. Like you Flops, I set up the old system with Windows XP as it Windows 7 refuses to run Max Payne 2 and some old games which my Fiancee has. One of which is called Aticatac. Very basic but brings back all her childhood memories of playing at her Mam's house as a kid with her older brother.

Attachments

• Atic 2.jpg
    Atic 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Atic 4.jpg
    Atic 4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 163

Ask a Question