Noctua NH D14 HSF in ANTEC 1200

CSB

Reaction score
Well well well, the things that cause annoyance whilst building lol. Have been working long hours so have got no further than installing the optical drives, Motherboard, Memory and CPU + HSF.

One concern I've got though is the bck plate to the HSF, touches the Antec 1200 case as you can see in the pic, ain't a tight fit but it still deffinately touches the panel.

The backplate does have some plastic to insulate it in the middle area on the side you can't see which goes against the Mobo stock cpu plate. But could this be a problem still when I go to turn it all on ???

Have to run again, need to have my tea. Hope everyone is doing ok ?.

Noctua NH D14 HSF ON ASUS SABERTOOTH MOBO IN ANTEC 1200

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem, that mounting plate is there merely to make the cooler secure, there are no voltages there.

It is a possibility that vibrations from the cooler fan may transfer to the case though, which may cause a noise through vibration or possibly set up a resonant frequency.

Unlikely though, try it and see. If there is noise the only solution as far as I can see is a rather sharp metal file.

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks FBS, I hope it doesn't cause a problem. I saw from other peoples posts on the net that they too have come across the same issue with other cases like Coolermaster etc

I don't understand why Antec and all these other case manufacturers don't make the backplate hole bigger, certainly wouldn't hurt the strengh of the case if they took out an extra cm at the top side.

The Antec 1200 is a big case but this HSF does a good job of saying "you call that a big case, I'll show you how much room I take up ! ha ha hahahahaha" lol

I've had a couple of conflicts, first of all I've had to take one of the fans off on this Noctua NH D14 HSF, because I wouldn't be able to keep the Dominator Memory fan installed.

Also I was planning on running a 120mm fan on the side panel but the HSF comes out to far and one corner of the fan housing goes up against it so you can't even close the side panel up. I've got a bit less room in the case than I thought I would have. Everything else should fit fine, just these issues which are annoying really.

Will take more pics of these issues and will post them tomorrow if I can.

89665825.jpg

Below: Antec made modifications to the 1200 so you have a optional place to put your SSD, indluded with the scews are 4 white rubber grommet type things to go into the 4 holes you see on the bottom of the case, plus 4 specific screws for the SSD. Bit of an iffy decision maybe as its pretty close to where the PSU will be.

75024395.jpg

Below: 6G Dominator GT 2000MHZ Tri Memory with the Dual fan mount taken off

69424354.jpg

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You have got the motherboard mounted on the stand offs right?

Told you you should have got the standard ram and not the dominator. :)

CSB

Reaction score
Yeah the mobo is on the 9 standoffs, the extra fan on the HSF ain't a big problem to me really as I have an Antec Tri cool manual 3 speed selection fan on a mount behind an unused HDD Bay which will be blowing air directy onto that side of the HSF anyway (see above pic)

I am annoyed more about not being able to mount the side fan due to how far the HSF comes out, if Antec had made the side panel fan mout square instead of a corner being at 12 o clock. It would have cleared fine.

Will still be like a wind turbine in there, but with the easy speed selection switches and dials if I feel its too loud.

Live and learn each day I guess. As long as you've got your health thats the main thing, no point losing sleep over a PC :thumb:.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tbh you probably don't need the side fan, it may even mess up the airflow.

What have u got the two in the front in and the rear and top out? That will be nice and balanced.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do recall, just out of interest, that when I fitted my Noctua cooler with twin 120mm Noctua fans, Antec Sonata case, Asus M2N-sli board, that one fan blocked a RAM slot.

Not a biggie as I only had two sticks of RAM but I sometimes wish different manufacturers would co-ordinate a little more.

Ask a Question