Fan speed

CSB

Reaction score
Now, this is another question some of you may think "what a numpty". I have a Noctua NH-D14 HSF ready to go into the new build, it comes with 2 fans as some of you will know, this all comes with a splitter so you can run both of a single connection on the mobo (cpu fan 4 pin connection of course).

This had me wondering about the thermal fan control speed set by the Bios. Does the system read the fan speed as one physical fan ?.

Just wanted to ask as I've never run a cpu hsf with more than 1 fan to the same mobo connector.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm running 4 Arctic F12 PWM fans piggybacked and the pc sees them as one fan if that helps.:)

As to nummpty's I recon anyone who has a pc is a total idiot and a raving madman if they actually fiddle about with one :D
laughingsmiley.gif

CSB

Reaction score
Yeah TXD, they do have a yellow wire running to the headers. I'm guessing they would read as one fan Abarbarian by the looks of things. Makes common sense, one header, one fan speed reading.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One speed setting will be read.

If you're fussy take each fan to a different mobo fan header.

But tbh speed monitoring of CPU fans is largely worthles imo.

If they're rotaing, they're working, lol

I suppose it could be argued that seeing a speed reported in some software is confirmation that they are working but hey, higher temps should alert you to the fact something's amiss.

Summary:

2 fans connected to one header = one reading.
2 fans connected to individual headers = 2 readings

CSB

Reaction score
I just wonder if the mobo could ever get confused over readings like that, now if you look at it from a numptys view, i.e me. even though the two fans are meant to run at the same speed, in the real world surely there will be differences in rpm between them.

So if and when that happens, which fan does the mobo read/display lol.

No need to answer as I know already its a stupid question. but thats how I think and believe me, you'd have every right to feel sorry for my fiancee lol.

There must be some good things about me though if she still wants to marry me lol.

Ignore me folks, if you don't, I'll send you round the twist
icon10.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I run both my Noctua CPU fans off the one fan header, been that was since this pc was born. No worries.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CSB said:
I just wonder if the mobo could ever get confused over readings like that, now if you look at it from a numptys view, i.e me. even though the two fans are meant to run at the same speed, in the real world surely there will be differences in rpm between them.

So if and when that happens, which fan does the mobo read/display lol.

That's an interesting point.

I'd imagine the monitor displays the average speed of the two.

But I don't know for sure.

And like fans do vary in speed, sometimes a great deal. And the speeds fluctuate during use.

CSB

Reaction score
Guess so FBS @ average speed.

Just got me thinking is all, well all I need to get to start my build is the SSD drive and Artic Silver 5 thermal paste.

I've got a stick of Noctua's Premium grade thermal paste that came with the HSF, But I believe I'd probably still be better of using Artic Silver 5.

What do you guys use under your HSF ?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
CSB said:
Guess so FBS @ average speed.

Just got me thinking is all, well all I need to get to start my build is the SSD drive and Artic Silver 5 thermal paste.

I've got a stick of Noctua's Premium grade thermal paste that came with the HSF, But I believe I'd probably still be better of using Artic Silver 5.

What do you guys use under your HSF ?

Artic Cooling MX-3 on this PC, if i was building now, i'd go for MX4. :)

The above does not require any time to 'cure' ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wot V_R said, though I still have a tube of standard Arctic Silver paste to use up before buying some MX4.

At the price they charge, I'm certainly going to use it up first ;)

I've used Arctic silver for over a decade now, exclusively.

Mind you, Noctua are a good company and if you have their thermal paste and don't want to fork out the best part of a tenner for some Arctic Silver, give it a go. It may very well be good stuff.

Ask a Question