QPI/DRAM CORE VOLTAGE

CSB

Reaction score
As it says in the title. I am concerned why my Asus Sabertooth X58 Mobo is showing this reading "1.43750" in Red ???. All other readings stay Blue and if you raise them a bit they of course go through other colours like Yellow and Purple.

Now I'm no noodle head, and of course Red isn't a great sign. But all I'm currently doing at the moment is using an Auto setting in the BIOS called "I7 CRAZY" to take the CPU to 3.7Ghz (Nothing I change seems to even get it close to 4Ghz, well I can change the Multiplier to 24 and that only takes the CPU just over 3.8Ghz).

I have changed the Corsair GT Dominator Memory to 1937Mhz (Sticks can go to 2000Mhz), so don't see why that would cause any problems. Although the BIOS does ask you to retain its current voltage setting or to allow it to increase if the Dimms require it to do so. The system has been stable and the CPU tempature when I check BIOS is around 39 - 40 degrees C. (The Noctua NH D-14 HSF is fantastic, although its too bloody big and stops me from installing a side fan to the case)

The Mobo manual does state that it doesn't recommend using Dimms which require more than 1.65V, but if mine are running at 1.43, why would it be red. Or am I reading something wrong here ?.

I want someone to teach me how to use BIOS settings like a Pro lol. Asus don't help me with all the scientific speak in their manual. They don't even put anything in Laymans terms. Its all "Allows you to set the transmission speed between the controller" type jargon. I'm sure glad they provided me with pictures or i'd be stuck. :lol: .................. Only joking. But I hope some others know the way I feel :D.

Work tomorrow, then 2 days off to fiddle around with my settings.:thumb:

Last edited:

CSB

Reaction score
Hi V_R,

First of all, sorry I havn't been around to say a big thank you for the link. I did see it the day you posted but all I did was save it to favs and then have alook at it the following day when home from work.

Have followed the guide and made settings just like it asks me too. Played my games again but wasn't any better than the auto settings, infact whilst playing Warhammer Retribution, it crashed, might have just been a one of, who knows.

Using the Manual settings, I have the CPU at 4Ghz, seems stable and temps are very good, even with the warmer weather we've been having now. But because I havn't really seen any advantages and with Warhammer crashing, I may take it back down to 3.7Ghz. We'll see first, as I'll keep it as it is for a bit to give it a fair chance.

Also I should run Prime I guess but havn't got a copy of it yet.

One thing I've wondered though V_R, is what is the stock speed of your i7 ?, is it a 950 3.06Ghz or did you go for the 3.2Ghz ?

One last thing I want to say, does anyone else have a high end system like mine and V_R's but still have problems playing some games ?. It still makes me wonder if I have a dodgy graphics card. Why else would it stutter on Grand Theft Auto 4 and barely play Crysis 1.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've got warhammer 2 and it crashes like mad, there's a site somewhere dedicated to help you run it! turn certain settings down etc

CSB

Reaction score
Arn't PCs funny. For one, other members can play GTA4 fine on lower spec machines. You got practically the same spec as me Reefsmoka and your Warhammer Retribution crashes, yet mine has played 95% fine. Only had the one crash and that only seemd to happen when I followed an online guide to take the system up higher.

I mean if it gets incredibly busy on screen, then it will pause for a moment before carrying on, but thats not often and has coped fine really. Also the settings are on Max with 1920 x 1080 Resolution.

Now why would yours crash and mine play on Max almost fine ??????

I'm currently going through the Orc campaign, I don't normally play these types of games but my younger brother who is 22 has played games like Warcraft and Starcraft for quite a few years.

I'll say it again, PCs are strange, it seems you can build 2 systems with the exact same hardware and software, yet they'll act different.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
PC's are certainly strange! My PC should eat a game like warhammer for breakfast, but if i have everything maxed out it crashes even though the frame rate is always 60fps+. As soon as i turn world detail down to medium my problems stop.

Loads of people have problems with GTA4, its a console game ported to PC and not a very good port at that.

Starcraft 2 is a good game but I absolutely suck at it so i stick with me first person shooters :p.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Also I should run Prime I guess but havn't got a copy of it yet.
Yep that or Intel Burn Test needs to be run they will push it harder than any game will. ;)

One thing I've wondered though V_R, is what is the stock speed of your i7 ?, is it a 950 3.06Ghz or did you go for the 3.2Ghz ?
Nope, mine is an 'old' 920. Stock speeds are 2.66Ghz.

One last thing I want to say, does anyone else have a high end system like mine and V_R's but still have problems playing some games? It still makes me wonder if I have a dodgy graphics card. Why else would it stutter on Grand Theft Auto 4 and barely play Crysis 1.
I said before and again, keep a close eye on the GPU usage, i did wonder if the card is malfunctioning somehow,

Two things i'd try. The new NV Drivers..
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/nvidia-geforce-270-61-whqls-released-t4034984.html

Maybe even a fresh install as a last resort. Not ideal but i honestly cant see why that system isn't eating evey game you throw at it, coz it should....

CSB

Reaction score
The system doesn't mind all the latest games, its like the phrase "Computer says No !" whenever I try playing a game more than a few years old.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed, seen your post like the same day it was posted and grabbed em:D.

Another thing I noticed, with the previous drivers, I'm talking about a couple back now. I was able to play Max Payne 2 in its proper 4.3 style ratio, now with these drives, it won't budge from widescreen no matter what resolution I choose or any other setting that is.

The advantages consoles have over pc's is that they can tweak for its max performance on a set hardware that they know isn't going to change, so when the PC port is made or whatever, it goes t!ts up sometimes. I believe its because they rush them out for the money but they are damaging their reputation for quick cash. I certainly won't be buying many more of these rubbish ports.

I was surprised to read you have a 920 running at 4.2Ghz V_R. Just goes to show how good you are (bit of brown noseing goes far) :lol:. No but seriously, you are good, is why so many have asked for yours and others help on here.

I was worried about taking my 950 anywhere near 4.2Ghs, anyway I'd have to up the BLCK up to like 200 or something to get that ?

Right, I'm off to have some tea, got home from work about 40 mins ago. Have had a long hard day emailing customers and resolving their complaints for a well known Supermarket chain.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well mine is actually a pre overclocked bundle from OcUK, board, RAM and CPU. It was 4Ghz out of the box, all i did was put ot together and build the rest of my system. :)

I upped it to 4.2Ghz a while back, needs a lot more volts thus its hotter so i actually run it at 4Ghz most of the time. :)

Guess i should change my sig but it is 100% stable at 4.2.

I can think of another rason why your pc isn't eating other games, it should do. Are you missing some drivers or something?

Out of interest is DirectX up to date? Run this...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

CSB

Reaction score
Just run DX via the link. Instalation says its no need as my current version is newer etc. Will email Graeme from Kustompcs tomorrow as its from his supplier where I got the card from.

Ask a Question