Northbridge HSF mod

Reaction score
Well I did it. I took the board out and checked compound on CPU, it was fine but I replaced it anyway. Had no choice really after taking it out. LOL

Anyway, upon checking Northbridge, the heatsink was quite loose to the point I could wobble it so I looked underneath the board. I found some heat damage, not much but enough to want to do something about it.
It was obvious it was caused by the heatsink not being attached and those stupid little plastic clips with springs on that go through the board are useless.

I took it off and found two small bolts with nuts and two small insulating washers

Cleaned the Northbridge or the rubbish that was on there and put new compound on. I then attached the heatsink using the bolts and on the underneath placed two insulating washers and nuts. I tightened them up but not too much as to allow the lugs on the heatsink to bend down toward the board. After tightening a little more than finger tight and tried moving the heatsink with a bit of a jiggle to some music on the radio ;)

Nothing! Great, now i know i have 100 times better contact than i did before..

Connected it all up and im here ;)

I have some pictures but when ever I try to upload them to my posts they never appear. So i will put them into gallery and leave a link :)

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/gallery/showimage.php?i=779&goto=previous&c=14

Work your way backward as I uploaded them back to front. So go from current to previous :)

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That heat damage looks nasty you were pretty lucky there. Well spotted. :D

Reaction score
Yeah cheers. I was wondering if it was the cause of the problem i've been having with stuttering in games. If the N/B was overheating it could well cause havoc

Anyway only time will tell :) I've no idea how long it had been like that but a would say at least a year

Ask a Question