Asus A8N-E Northbridge Fan problem

Reaction score
I need to replace the Northbridge Fan on my A8N-E Motherboard.
The Southbridge is passive & just a heatsink only.
The Northbridge Fan is held in place by 2 springs, however these seem not to want to move, hence cant replace fan!

Any ideas on how to progress forwards as the pc cant really be used until this is replaced as currently it emitts a high pitched whine when fan attempts to work!

Any help most welcome.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Seems you have to remove the mobo with that board and push some pins on the back from what I read:
When I had to replace my old fan from my A8N-E. I had to take off the whole mobo because the way the clips are made, I had to pinch them at the end behind the mobo in order to pull them out...

Appears NB fan dying is a common fault - most replace with this passive heatsink: http://www.directron.com/zmnb47j.html

Reaction score
Cheers for that Ady.:thumb:

Currently hoping to do the job over weekend sometime?

Reaction score
Hmmm pc now works

Update:
New Northbridge heatsink on & what a bar-steward to do!!
Had to cobble together a heatsink to put on it as none i had fitted.
Seems Asus only want Asus parts on their motherboards!!

It will also curtail crunching for the time being until i can make sure all is working OK.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i missed this one, the only reason i didn't get this board was because of this very problem, i went for the higher spec A8N-SLI Premium which is all passively cooled

glad you got it sorted ok though :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
Update:
New Northbridge heatsink on & what a bar-steward to do!!
Had to cobble together a heatsink to put on it as none i had fitted.
Seems Asus only want Asus parts on their motherboards!!

It will also curtail crunching for the time being until i can make sure all is working OK.
You can get the Zalman one I linked to for £2.71 from ebuyer - surely even a tight-wad such as you can afford that :p

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
You can get the Zalman one I linked to for £2.71 from ebuyer - surely even a tight-wad such as you can afford that :p
:lol:
Found a nice big heatsink to put on it instead.:thumb:
Extra fan gone in to help with cooling & all seem's OK at the moment.

Reaction score
On my A8N-E I've replaced the active chipset fan with a passive ZALMANN. No more dB problems & Chipset temperature is allways 38°C. Just remind to mount a noiseless case fan (800-1600 rpm) if U have a fanless Video card too! Or U will see your PC burning!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My fan just broke down, so I got a new heatsink. But the current base of the fan seems to be glued to the board and won't budge, even after all screws and such are removed!

How can I loosen it? It doesn't even move slightly when I try to twist it.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have you removed the motherboard and pinched the clips at the back?

Reaction score
Vacuum effect!

Twist the FAN left-right, & U will see it moving!!! It may be the "vacuum" beetween the FAN & the paste...

Ask a Question