Northbridge/Chipset Fan on Abit IC7-G

Reaction score
hey all

Got an IC7-G Socket 478 (P4) Motherboard... the northbridge fan is dying... it keep spinning up, making a noise, practically stopping, and repeating... RPM is all over the place.

Figured i should replace it - but don't know what is compatible with what!

Don't really want anything expensive at all (cheaper the better) just something that will keep my computer alive.

Does anyone know of any that would work?

I have seen one @ www.aria.co.uk made by akasa... but would it work? The Akasa AK-210

Heres a picture

thanks for your help

Chris

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ha,

Just get a passive heatsync ... at most a fiver.

No more fan problems. ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
get one of the zalman passive ones, i think they fit just about everything

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As mucks & me__2001 have said, the Zalman passive fan is good and should fit through existing holes. If it doesn't fit, get some arctic silver epoxy resin to stick it on with.

Until it arrives, give the existing fan a squirt of WD40 and maybe leave the side off your case.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Oh... so if it dosen't fit, just glue it?!

Basically, yes :D

But it must be a thermally transducive adhesive. The arctic silver stuff is very good, I've used it a fair bit. Bit expensive though, about six quid I think.

Anyway, chances are it will fit straight into the existing holes using the current fan secure devices.

Reaction score
I remember buying a Zalman one AAAAGES ago... and the holes not fitting so i sold it...

Glue it on... hmm... that Akasa one, its like £2.10, has a fan on it, and comes ready to just stick straigh on with its own Akasa thermal adhesive...

Should i get that one?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I remember buying a Zalman one AAAAGES ago... and the holes not fitting so i sold it...

Glue it on... hmm... that Akasa one, its like £2.10, has a fan on it, and comes ready to just stick straigh on with its own Akasa thermal adhesive...

Should i get that one?

For that price you may as well, but the Zalman is better at cooling - and quieter.

And it won't ever break down now, will it? ;)

Reaction score
chipset fans are crud

fortunately my computer came with a heatsink anyway

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
chipset fans are crud

fortunately my computer came with a heatsink anyway

Well that's another way of putting it, lol

All my motherboards have a passive heatsink, the DFI one is particularly good. North Bridges don't actually get that hot.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well that's another way of putting it, lol

All my motherboards have a passive heatsink, the DFI one is particularly good. North Bridges don't actually get that hot.
ooh Floppy ... of course they do ... remember that thermal image of a MB, and all the other hot spots ... still no HS on the 'other hot spots' though ... give 'em time. :D

now which CD is it on .... :rolleyes:

oh ... here you go
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/thermalimages/
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/nf4thermals/imageview.php?file=2.jpg
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/nf4thermals/index.php?file=1

how about this HS :thumb:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1727917,00.asp

ok ok ... I'll take some tonic water with my Gin :D

Reaction score
I bet they get hot when you overclock your system to the limit though, which i do!

Would the Akasa with a fan cool better than the Zalman

Reaction score
interesting.

Looking like i will need to buy this very shortly... i had a peek inside my case today (well i looked through the window which happens to face away from where i sit) and it was stopped dead. i poked it and it started moving again...

Worrying thing is, BIOS is set to "SHUTDOWN ON NB FAN FAIL" aswell as sound an alarm.

I dont know why this isnt working because i remember testing it once by stopping the fan, the power cutout immediatly when the fan stopped.

Reaction score
I bought the Akasa because it was i think £4.00 inc P&P from Udiggit

The thermal tape is useless, it kept falling off because the die is raised and the rest is a mm or two down...

I ended up putting some thermal adhesive on the die and physically pushing the thermal tape onto that. Probably stopping all thermal transfer completely, and its still not sticking well.

I guess if it dosen't crash my PC and the RPM monitor is happy, then all is good... i hope

Ask a Question