Icy Box caddy

CSB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Bought this below

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3987.html

Got the front panel eSATA cable running from my Antec 1200 case connected to a SATA on the mobo. Connected the caddy via eSATA cable but is not being recognised when powered up the wall plug supplied.

I have tried changing BIOS to ACHI mode but it just made my PC crash when it went to restart and gave me t2 options, use windows repair if some files were damaged or start up as normal. Well I thought just to be safe I'll see what it finds if anything on the repair, went to the next windoes screen and just stayed at a windows type installation background image for ages and clearly wasn't planning on showing any kind of repair programme.

Resetted my PC and chose Start as normak and the PC appears to be fine *touch wood*
The caddy works fine if I use it as a standard USB connection.:(

What am I doing wrong.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It isn't required to be in ACHI mode, unless you are running a SSD for TRIM support. For standard hard drives the biggest benefit is the hot swap ability. If this isn't a feature you are concern with, don't worry about it. Leave the BIOS alone. :)

Did you power the 'caddy' on before booting the PC? You are running Win 7, int you?

If it works with USB and is a std drive, I'd leave it at that. :cheers:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Funny thing, I've never been able to connect anything external via an EsAta port, often wondered what I was doing wrong as well.

I'm as baffled as you are, Mr CSB.

Do you really need speed for an external hard drive?

I'd be tempted to accept USB working meself, but non-working of EsAta does remain something of an enigma.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
While eSATA reaches transfer rates of at least triple those of USB 2.0 and FireWire 400, it does have one drawback. eSATA requires its own power connector..

SATA has differing standards, with older hardware supporting the original standard exclusively. With each new SATA iteration, speed increases. Original SATA, or SATA 150, has a data transfer speed of 150 megabytes per second (MB/s). SATA 3G doubled the speed to 300 MB/s or about 3 GB/s. This is also sometimes referred to as SATA 300. When purchasing an eSATA controller or bus card, be sure it supports the SATA standard required by your SATA hard drive(s). Hardware that supports newer standards is usually backwards compatible with older devices, but the reverse does not hold. An eSATA controller made for SATA 150, for example, will not be able to support the faster transfer speeds of a SATA 300 hard drive.

CSB

Reaction score
After last night, I went into Device Manager whilst it is connected via eSATA and did a scan for new hardware and it picked it up fine.

Left the Icy Box on and shut down PC, restarted to see if it would pick it up that way, but nope.

Seems like the only way I can get it to know its there is by going to Device Manager, unless I use USB, but my Antec 1200 case has a built in eSATA port on the front panel and the cable from that is in a SATA 300 on the mobo and was a bonus selling point of the case for me, especially as eSATA will be used more by other companies in future..

I have the Asus Sabertooth X58 Mobo, and this has a Power eSATA on the back I/O Panel. Should I be connecting it to that instead ?, but if so, what would be the point in Antec having the built in eSATA on the front panel ?.

P.s, thanks for all the replies.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have tried changing BIOS to ACHI mode but it just made my PC crash when it went to restart and gave me t2 options, use windows repair if some files were damaged or start up as normal. Well I thought just to be safe I'll see what it finds if anything on the repair, went to the next windoes screen and just stayed at a windows type installation background image for ages and clearly wasn't planning on showing any kind of repair programme.

Just to touch on this, changing the mode to AHCI after windows install will cause issues, though there is a 'fix'...

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...82-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

I have an Icybox caddy with a 1Tb drive in for random backups etc, strangly its isn't recognised on my Win7 PC or Win 7 laptop, but is fine on my GF's Vista laptop as well as other non win 7 PC/Laptops... Go figure.

One day i bother to look into why... :lol:

Ask a Question