Icy Box Trayless IB-168SK-B Hard Drive Caddy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wish I'd got a hard drive caddy a long time ago now that I've seen how useful they are! When my hard drive went pair-shaped last week, I thought I may as well get one as I seem to be swapping drives over quite frequently.

In the end I went for this one (Icy Box Trayless IB-168SK-B), which doesn't use a tray system. You can just push a SATA drive in to the unit and away you go :D

If you don't swap drives often then there's no point in one (as £20 seems a bit steep for a little metal/plastic frame), but for those who do it makes things so much easier :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good ain't they? :thumb:

As I've oft mentioned I have a caddy in my AMD machine with three SATA drives - a 250Gb with Win XP Pro and a pair of 160Gb drives with Linux Mint V7.00 which currently won't recognise my wireless NIC and Windows 7 32 bit which also won't recognise my wireless NIC.

The card is a Linksys WMP54G btw and Linksys have so far refused to publish Win 7 drivers for it, despite it being an extremely common card.

Oops, I'm wandering off topic but the caddy system gives lots of scope for experimenting with OS's :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Good ain't they? :thumb:

As I've oft mentioned I have a caddy in my AMD machine with three SATA drives - a 250Gb with Win XP Pro and a pair of 160Gb drives with Linux Mint V7.00 which currently won't recognise my wireless NIC and Windows 7 32 bit which also won't recognise my wireless NIC.

It was you mentioning them a while back when you posted some pics that made me go for it last week - I just wish I'd bought the caddy sooner ;)

floppybootstomp said:
The card is a Linksys WMP54G btw and Linksys have so far refused to publish Win 7 drivers for it, despite it being an extremely common card.

Oops, I'm wandering off topic but the caddy system gives lots of scope for experimenting with OS's :)

Good job you mentioned that as I saw those exact drivers about 5 mins ago, I kid you not :D http://icrontic.com/forum/showpost.php?p=679946&postcount=1

edit (Ian) : Rest of thread split to : https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3834672

Reaction score
Hi guys. Ive been looking into one of these docks myself (IB-168SK-B). only transfer speed i can find for it tho is on scan and it states 1.5gbs not 3gbs. Could you please clarify which it is for me?

Thanks in advance

James

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I wish I'd got a hard drive caddy a long time ago now that I've seen how useful they are! When my hard drive went pair-shaped last week, I thought I may as well get one as I seem to be swapping drives over quite frequently.

In the end I went for this one (Icy Box Trayless IB-168SK-B), which doesn't use a tray system. You can just push a SATA drive in to the unit and away you go :D

If you don't swap drives often then there's no point in one (as £20 seems a bit steep for a little metal/plastic frame), but for those who do it makes things so much easier :thumb:

Hello Ian.

As the above is all new to me,can you tell me what does the caddy do,what is it`s use. I`m going to take out my old H/D,when I get enough courage to do so, Would I be able to slip the old drive into it and down load progs` from it onto the new internal H/D If so how do you go about doing that?
historian :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The caddy is just a handy way of connecting the hard drive to your system if you remove it frequently - but it's probably not of use if you don't do it often to be honest. If you want to move data from an old drive to a new one, it's probably best to have them both connected internally at the same time. That way you can move data from one to the other very easily, then remove the old one when you are done :)

Ask a Question