Reaction score
I have the following asus p4c800e
4GB ddr ram
two 80gb IDE ATA100 drives
ega NVida 6200 .5GB ram
two DVD burners
3.2 GHZ P4 processor
ANTEC true power 480watt replaced with 1200watt BFG
4 ATA100 drives (not currently hooked up)
24" Flat screen ACER monitor
8 case fans
Windows XP professional 32bit

I recently had to replace my ATI video card which went bad shortly after I upgraded a 19"crt monitor with the 24" flatscreen panel. Since I do play games, I opted for a NVIDIA 6200 AGP card. first of all things started getting squirly with occassional freezes during game play and some system reboots. I redistributed the loads on the rails of the antec true power and my issues went away.

Recently I had a need to reconnect the other 4 hard disks (i do some video editing on the side). The nvidia card recommends a minimum 500 watt PS so I bought a Thermaltake 750 watt. When installed, without hooking up any of the 4 additional drives the system constantly rebooted on me and at times would not power up. I took back the 750 watt thinking that although it only had 1 rail it was still not providing enough amps. I got instead a BFG 1200 watt PS (almost $200) thinking this would cure my issues but still have same problems.

I am beginning to think the p4c800e asus board has a limitation to the wattage PS it will accept. Is this true? When I put the Antec 480 watt back in, everything is fine, except I cannot add the 4 extra drives or anything that draws current from the USB ports.

Any thoughts? The mobo has been rock solid up till now.

Ask a Question