Graphics Card power issues

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Im new to this forum so go easy on me :).

Just got myself a new Geforce 8800Gtx Graphics card. Im having trouble powering it up though.

I bought myself a new power supply (580 watt) to cope with the new card.

The card itself has 2 power sockets to plug into but my power supply and virtually every other one I have seen has only the one PCI (6 pin) socket plus 2 4 pin plugs coming out of it.

I have an adaptor for the 4 pin plugs to convert to a 6 pin plug which are plugged in as well as the other 6 pin plug. This is causing vertical lines on my screen and it is very pixelated also. The manual that comes with the card states that XFX does not support the use of two 4 pin to one 6 pin power cable convertor for these graphic cards.

The only way around this is to keep the 4 pin(adaptored plug) unplugged and just plug the 6 pin in. Graphics sorted.

But then I get a message saying that there is insufficient power to the card so it will run at a reduced capacity, make sure auxillary power plug is plugged in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

You got the wrong PSU ... get on with the correct cables.

:user:

Reaction score
Money is a bit of an issue so would a PC repair type shop be able to change the 4 pin plugs for a 6 pin do you think?

Ask a Question