geforce 8800 gs power connectors

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have recently bought an XFX GeForce 8800 GS and am trying to fit it. It came with a molex to pci-express adapter like the one pictured here, but the graphics card also came with a card telling me that "XFX does not support the use of 4-pin to 6-pin power cable converters for these graphics cards. They are designed to work with high performance power supplies with 6-pin PCI Express power connectors."

My power supply doesn't have any power connectors I don't recognise, they're all the normal white bulky ones, although I don't know what a PCI-E power connector looks like (sorry I've only recently returned to PC building and am a bit clueless about the latest technologies)

Surely if they didn't want me to use the molex to pci-e adapter they wouldn't have supplied it in the box? So my question is, will using it completely cock up my graphics card?

Many thanks

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No it will be fine - a PCI-E connector from a PSU has a 6-pin plug just like the one on the end of your adapter - all that adapter is doing is converting 2 molex power connectors from the PSU into a 6-pin PCI-E connector so it can fit your card.

However you need to be aware that these cards use a fair bit of power, so you need to make sure your PSU is up to the job.

Ask a Question