Confused about buying graphics card

Reaction score
The previous graphics card in my computer (Nvidia GeForce FX5200) died today and I'm looking for another, and better, graphics card. The one I found is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187041

I looked through my system's documentation to see information on the expansion slots. Here's what it says:

Bus Types: PCI
Bus Speed: PCI 33MHz
PCI Connectors: three
PCI Connector Side: 120 Pins
PCI connector data width: 32-bits
(maximum)

The card's memory interface is 64-bit. I talked with Dell about it and they said it would not work at all because the motherboard didn't support it. (Technician didn't really seem to know what he was talking about) BUT my previous graphics card was 128-bit! I'm so confused! Why would 128-bits work and 64-bits not work? Someone please clear this up for me.

Reaction score
OK firstly, Dell do not support External graphics cards even though some of them do have graphics cards slots that is why you were fobbed off by support

Secondly, according to the manual you don't have a graphics card slot in the first place. You graphics are onboard with no option to add-on. (EDIT*Never read properly the GFX option you were looking at)

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/sysboard.htm

You need to have a look inside my friend. Unless your happy with really dated PCI graphics cards?
It might well be better than the on you have integrated I guess?

Last edited:
Reaction score
. . . I do have a slot for graphics cards. I've added two and both have since died. The only PCI slot I'm using is for a sound card and I have two free.

I'm happy with old technology. Anything to get off of the integrated card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As why I edited my post. My apologies!

However you were fobbed off by Dell as I said because they will not support any extra hardware added to your machine. As in todays standards PCI is not classed as GFX card slot

Buy ya card mate as long as it better than the integrated who cares what they say? ;)

Reaction score
Ah. It's alright.

I don't wanna be stuck with an expensive paperweight. Will the card I mentioned work properly? I'm guessing my worries about the data width, memory interface and whatnot are totally irrelevant as to if it would work?

Reaction score
Yes it will/should work perfectly fine.
As for bandwidth yep your probs right you wont get ya full bang for ya buck but a bit of extra graphics memory never did anyone any hard ;) You can always send it back if it don't :)

Ask a Question