Confusion about PSU voltage

Reaction score
Hello,

So I recently bought an un assembled bare bones kit to build a computer. The kit did not provide a graphics card so I bought my own. I am building a mid-upper level PC for home use mainly for doing stuff online but maybe to play a game here and there. The video card I bought is a GeForce GT 430 and states on the box '300w+ power supply with a minimum of 22 amps on the 12v rail. I'm kind of peeved because on Newegg.com, where I bought the card, it only says 'System Requirements: Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply."
So then I checked my PSU, it's 500w and says +3.3V@22A, +5V@25A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, [email protected], [email protected]. I consider myself computer literate but I know nothing about electricity.

So it looks like I have two 12v rails with 18amps each, obviously not meeting the requirements of the 22amps for the graphics card. But if I'm only using one of the 12v rails, would that rail get 36A? Is that enough to power my Graphics Card sufficiently and sustainably? Or should I send the graphics card back to newegg ranting and raving and P.Oed that they didn't post the full and system requirements on their website?

Here's links to my PSU and Graphics card info:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130656

Reaction score
The 12v rails will be rated separately. Simply not using the 2nd rail does not mean the redundant amps can be utilised on the other unfortunately.

22amp for such a mid range card?
Hmmmmm that does seem a bit high for that particular card
It doesnt even have a separate power connector so pulling 22amps through a PCI-e port makes me a little sceptical

Im a bit behind on this now dont read up on it but i'm sure someone else will help more!

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
That PSU will easily power that card, ignore that 22amps rubbish. Its a nice PSU and wont struggle in the slightest with the graphics card.

Ask a Question