New build: power supply too weak? build anyway? please help

Reaction score
Hi. I am a graphic designer switching to PC. i have done wok on my old mac (replaced ram, hard drive, dc in board) but this is the first time that I will be building a pc from scratch. Below are the parts I bought from new egg. there is one pretty obvious problem i think, the power supply is 400w. This was an error I originally had a 750w cooler amster and someone recomended switching brands and i was careless. i also forgot to get a wireless card. my question is, can I build this with the PSU I have and replace it later ( it was pretty in expensice and i am maxed out) or is it going to be a bad idea. This computer is not for gaming it is for graphic design in Adobe, including some aftereffexcts and flash.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The PSU is probably the most critical component in a computer build as everything else depends on it to deliver enough juice to work with.

Lemme see, we have:

X58 Motherboard
6Gb memory
Quad core 2.8Ghz CPU
GTS 250 Grafix card with a gig of memory
A hard drive
An optical drive
CPU Cooler
Case fans

The PSU you have mistakenly ordered is a good PSU so that's a good thing.

But can it supply enough current?

My first instinct would be to say probably not and recommend at least a 650 watt PSU but it's possible you may just get away with it.

The work you intend to use the machine for can draw just as much use from the computer's individual components as game-playing sometimes so it really doesn't make much difference that you won't be playing games.

If the 400W PSU is already ordered and there's only a few dead moths at the bottom of your wallet I'd say suck it and see.

With a resolution to upgrade at the very earliest oppurtunity.

If the PSU isn't up to the job you will notice anomalies, which will be a sign to upgrade at once.

Also bear in mind that in some cases an inadequate PSU can cause damage to computer components, although this is rare and is usually caused by cheap and nasty PSU's, not a quality piece of kit like the Corsair.

There are PSU wattage callculators online but I don't have any links to them myself, a Google may help.

Good luck.

Reaction score
anomalies?

so what kind of anomolies are we talking about ( I want to be on the look out). and if I do install this PSU how difficult will it be to switch out, I don't have to reformat my drive or anything do I? (this being my first build I know that psu goes in first - so is it a first in last out situation? complete disassemble?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Anomalies? Flickering screen, long load times, blue screen of death, random reboots, you will know something isn't right.

The PSU can be swapped out any old time, no formatting is required for your hard drive, all will stay as it was.

You can add the PSU first or last, it's not important.

After all, all it's doing is supplying electricity to make everything else work when you think about it.

In an ideal situation get at least a 650 watt PSU. If you're stuck with what you have then just try the 400-watter.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, Antec have an online PSU wattage calculator Here

I've just entered your proposed system's specs and it comes out - 369 watts :)

So there you go, I thought you may just get away with it, looks like you going to be ok.

Remember though, if you add just one more thing, including any external devices powered by the USB ports, upgrade the PSU.

Good luck with the build.

Reaction score
nice link for PSU calculator, very useful. Helps me with my problem
bowdown.gif

image.php

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Take them PSU calculators with a pince of salt. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Take them PSU calculators with a pince of salt. ;)

As ever with anything online really.

But as a rough guide, imo, it's useful.

As A rule of thumb, use their stuff to calculate then add 50 - 100 watts to the equation.

Ask a Question