First build, would like advice

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've decided to build a computer for the first time and I'd like it to have somewhat high specs. I've been looking around the internet for guides and asking a few friends and this is the parts list I've come up with. I'd like to make sure these parts are compatible and that I haven;t missed anything out. I'd also like to be sure that I'll be able to make full use of each parts features.

This is what I'm planning on buying:
Case - Antec Three Hundred Click
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 650W ATX2.0 PCI-E PSU Click
CPU - Intel Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz CPU Click
SSD - OCZ Technology 40GB Vertex 2 SATA-300 Solid State Drive Click
HDD - Western Digital WD1002FAEX 3.5" 1TB Hard Drive Click
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 470 607MHz 1280MB PCI-EXPRESS HDMI Click
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Click
Heatsink - Sythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler (Socket 1366 Compatable) Click

~I'd be very grateful if someone could check out those parts and ensure they'll all fit.

I'd also like to make a few points:
I don't want to use water cooling. Please don't suggest that I do, as it seems to be too much hassle and money at the moment.
I am planning on upgrading the computer in the future
I want to make sure I can make use of the USB 3.0 Ports on my motherboard.
If something is compatible, please say why

And also, if I need anything else, such as tools or thermal paste etc, please let me know. This is my first build and as such, I'm not sure exactly what I'll need to make this happen.

All help is greatly appreciated,

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
and that I haven;t missed anything out
What like a motherboard?! :p

Seriously: why buy everything from a different supplier? will just end up costing you more in the long run.

What is your overall budget?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If something is compatible, please say why

Cos it is.

And also, if I need anything else, such as tools or thermal paste etc, please let me know. This is my first build and as such, I'm not sure exactly what I'll need to make this happen.

All help is greatly appreciated,

A screwdriver or two wouldn't go amiss.

Thermal paste will come with retail CPU versions. OEM CPU's and seperate coolers will probably need thermal paste, I'd suggest Arctic Silver or whatever the latest incarnation is.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Processor:
Get a more modern processor for sure. A sandybridge i5 2500k defiantly, it rips a i7 950 apart all day long and should be around the same price.
Motherboard
Make sure you get a B3 revision (if your getting a sandybridge chip) motherboard for it as well, something made by gigabyte preferably, Asus sandybridge boards are supposed to be very poor.
Memory
The sandybridge chips dont use tri channel memory so dual channel memory, something like 2 sticks of 4 gig.
Graphics Card
You can get a GTX480 for the price of that GTX470 if you shop around, so get a GTX480.
CPU Cooler
The thermaltake frio is one of the best coolers on the market, i'd get one of those if it were me :).
PSU
Get a corsair PSU, there the best on the market at the moment.
Hard drive
Your choice of SSD is good, OCZ are the kings of it at the moment, just slap your o/s on there and jobs a good un.

Links:
Graphics card: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1536...z-shader-1401mhz-480-cores-mhdmi-plus-farcry2

Processor: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...-quad-core-33ghz-gpu-850mhz-6mb-cache-95w-oem

Motherboard: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...-pci-e-20-(x16)-ddr3-2133-sata-6gb-s-raid-atx

PSU: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/800w...ff-sli-eps-12v-140mm-fan-blue-led-65a-plus12v

CPU Cooler: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ther...m-fan-socket-775-1156-1366-am2-am3-cpu-cooler

Memory: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-150v

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Reaction score
@V_R
Ah yeah, I kinda forgot to include the motherboard in that list :/ I had found one tho

As for the differing suppliers, I'm really new to this and wasn't sure which supplier I should rely on. I usually rely on Amazon for everything :p

@TripleXDread
I was hoping to use the SSD for my operating system and the HDD for everything else, but as someone from another forum told me, I might want to get a 50GB SSD instead.

@floppybootstomp
That was supposed to say:
If something isn't compatible, please say why

And thanks for the advice :)

@reefsmoker
Thanks a bunch for those links! Seeming they all direct me to Scan and I've already heard good things about that supplier already, I think I'll use them for this build.
Thanks again :)

@muckshifter
Thanks for letting me know, although I was planning on getting Win7 in the first place.

Also, I realise I missed some info out;
My budget is around the 1K mark. If it goes a little over, I can deal with it

I am planning on using this PC for many 'heavy' jobs, such as:
Gaming
Editing photos
Making 3D models
Editing and rendering videos

Admittedly, I can;t seek a 1K computer doing all that in seconds, but I'd like something that can handle those jobs with pretty quickly, especially when compared to the casual use PC I have to put up with at the moment :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Looking at your actual needs:

Editing photos
Making 3D models
Editing and rendering videos

Have you considered getting an Apple Mac?

Just a thought

Reaction score

Just a thought

I have, but I'd like to stick with what I know and I've been wanting to build a PC for a while now. I'll probably consider an Apple Mac, or perhaps a 'Hackintosh' in the future though.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
If you want a PC for gaming, don't even think twice about a mac, useless. Plus you would struggle getting a half decent one for 1k.

Sandybridge CPU with a 480GTX will last you at least 3 years of high end gaming ^^

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Just a thought
they not on the USB3 bandwagon, yet, as far as I know ... took 'em till OS X to get proper "support" for USB2

games ? :lol:

Ask a Question