Pwr Supply 20 and 24 pin connectors

rbs

Reaction score
Hi

Just rebuilding a new machine with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3 motherboard (with 775). The board's pwr socket is 24 pin.

Trying to use my old power supply unit (Colors-IT 450 watt, version 1.3/2.03, ATX) which has a 20 pin connector and a small, potentially complementary, 4 pin connector.

So my question is: Do I just use the 20 pin connector in the 24 pin socket and leave 11, 12 and 23, 24 holes in the socket empty or do i stick in the little 4 pin connector in beside it...?

Not wanting to blow my new motherboard I thought I should check before plugging it all in...

Thanks

Richard

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aye stick em both in.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Most newer motherboards and video cards require ATX 2.0 power supply connectors. If you have a newer P4 motherboard with PCI Express, you may need to get an ATX 2.0 power supply.

Your present PSU does comply ... not sure if it will last though, it is, what we would say, a cheapo OEM power supply unit. ;)

:user:

rbs

Reaction score
New Pwr Supply

Thanks guys, sounds right.

The documentation and the motherboard vendor both suggest that a 450 watts PSU is marginal - so should probably upgrade now while the box is open and the PSU is relatively easy to get at.

Any recommendations on a brand that is good value and reliable? I was thinking maybe 600 watts or so...

Thanks

Richard

Ask a Question