Pc will not power on with new Hiper type R modular Psu fitted

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on this particular problem..

Replaced and older 400watt psu iCute brand with a Hiper type R modular 530 watt Psu, now the strange thing is I get power to the board because the little green light on the bottom of the board lights up..

I already sent 1 psu back as faulty and was sent another one and the same thing occurs, if I reattach the old psu everything is fine and the pc boots...

One thing I have noticed is on the Hiper psu, the main 20 pin power plug one of the contacts is missing, when I looked on the Hiper website, in the faq's someone asks the question why is there a pin missing from the 20 pin power plug, Hipers answer is that the particular pin is not needed -5v and adheres to the ATX 2.2 standard..

Only thing I can think is the board being an older board obviously doesn't fall into the new standards and that perhaps this motherboard does need the -5v after all..

On the old Icute psu that particular pin on the 20 pin plug is present and is the white coloured wire....

Could any one elaborate on this or solve this particular problem...
wallbash.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I suspect you are correct ... what is the MB?

user.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
its an Asus K8V-X socket 754 board...

about 2 years old muck's

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I thought so Muck's...

Many thanks for taking the time to seek out that article.....

On another note Muck's do you know which PSU's still have the -5v pin intact in there range there must be some PSU's out there that still keep that pin in there for backwards compatibility with older motherboards...Looking for a decent one in the region of 500w to 600w with all 20 pins intact...As this will be required to run an X1950 pro graphics card...:thumb:

Reaction score
Ooerr...

I had a Hiper Type R that powered a socket 478 IC7-G motherboard that was 3 years old!

I was of the understanding they were all backwards compatible...

I didnt really look at the pins on it, just plugged it in and hoped for the best.

If it dosent work, send it back - try another model :)

Sorry i cant be of more help

Chris

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats what I'm gonna do chris gonna phone ccl tomorrow and ask if one of there technical guys will open a few psu's and find one with all 20 pins, so I know it will work..

Just hope they will carry out this task or the brand new X1950pro card I have bought which cost me £140 will have to go back...which will be a shame as it gets fantastic write-ups...

Unless Muck's can tell me any psu's that have all the pins there...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK CL, I'm gonna confuse things a bit here.

I've got that PSU on my Gigabyte DS3 mobo - that too has a -5v pin socket on the ATX 20pin power socket - I've checked the Hiper manual, and as you say that pin on the connector shows 'NC' on the diagram, which I presume means 'not connected'.

My mobo works fine without it, however I must add it also has the extra 4-pin ATX2.2 extension connector as well to turn it into ATX 2.2 24 pins - although none of those extra pins is -5v either.

As I see it, and reading the Hiper manual, it should be fully compatable with any older ATX mobo.

Just checked my OCZ and Seasonic PSU's and they all have a 'NC' pin at -5v - I think your going to find this will be the same with all newer PSU's to be honest.

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks for throwing that into the mix Ady..

Tried the Hiper on my brothers socket 939 slightly newer board and it works fine, The only other way I can find out for definite is to get a 20 pin to 20 pin connector and attach it to my original psu the one with all the pins intact and then cut the -5v wire, if the pc doesn't boot then i'll definitley know it is the missing -5v from the Hiper 530watt..And that my board definitley needs it...

My board also does have the extra 4 pin connector aswell for power to the cpu..as the same as your board...

Can you believe this it looks like I may have to upgrade to a newer motherboard, processor and memory all for a graphics card upgrade...

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, strange ... and answers above are also correct ... the fact that the pin is missing may be a cause.

The MB manual does not state what std's it complies to in respect of power needed ... merely states that you need the 4pin power as well. All modern PSUs have this.

-5v is an ancient spec that is no longer implemented on decent MBs that comply to the ATX2.2 std, quite simply, nothing uses it.

I could be you do have a faulty PSU ... DOA

I have used CCL exclusively the past, and found their tech guys very knowledgeable ... ask em. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
My board also does have the extra 4 pin connector aswell for power to the cpu..as the same as your board...
Just to clarify, the 4-pin connector I was talking about was not the seperate one for the CPU, but the extra one you put beside the 20-pin to turn it into a 24-pin ATX2 supply.

As your board has only a 20-pin ATX socket - you obviously don't need to do that :thumb:

Good luck mate!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to research and reply to this particular problem guys it is much appreciated....

Going to give CCL a ring now and if no joy probably will have to send the graphics card back...awww noooo....was going to be my last gasp to keep this system running for another year....No problems with it otherwise in just over 2 years...

Many Thanks....

muckshifter

Reaction score
That MB uses a std 20pin power plug AND a separate 4pin power plug to supply the graphics card with power. It is located just behind the PS2/keyboard/mouse socket. Your PC will not post without it.

Do not use the 4pin power connector that is part of the 24pin setup ... you should have another 4pin power lead on the PSU.

user.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just one thing - I know its an AGP card, but are you still connecting the 6-pin PCI-E power connector to it?

Don't know if it would make any difference to the booting, but just a thought.....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Muck's my manual states

In addition to the 20 pin atx power connector, this MB requires that you connect the 4 pin atx +12v power plug to provide sufficient power to the CPU...

Am I missing something here...!

Haven't changed the card yet Ady trying to get the psu to boot the pc before I try the new card...

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
well spotted ...

crazylegs said:
Muck's my manual states

In addition to the 20 pin atx power connector, this MB requires that you connect the 4 pin atx +12v power plug to provide sufficient power to the CPU...

Am I missing something here...!

Haven't changed the card yet Ady trying to get the psu to boot the pc before I try the new card...
No, you aint missing anything ... I was ... used to use a "cheap" Asus MB for office PCs and it needed that 4pin for graphics ... good to see you do you own readin also. You still need to connect it. :thumb:

The word compatibility does not exist when used in conjunction with Computers. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No probs muck's its connected...:thumb:

Literally its like this...

disconnect my 20 pin and 4 pin from my icute 400watt and connect my 20 pin and 4 pin from the hiper....

The icute spins it up no probs, the Hiper gets no response...The Hiper does work tried it yesterday on me bruvs pc and span it up straightaway...

simple as that chaps...only anomally is the missing -5v pin...I'm stumped...:confused:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If your mobo does need that -5v pin, then your going to have problems as most quality new PSU's I've seen don't have that pin connected anymore.

Hopefully CCL will be able to help you :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Again many thanks guys for your input....

I'm now off to stump a few CCL tech guys...:D

Ask a Question