Two Computer Problems...

Reaction score
hey, i said in my last post that i was gonna buy a whole new computer, but ive changed my mind and decided to go with the cheaper option and just buy a few parts to speed my current pc up, and get them fitted for free by pc world. anyway, what new parts do you suggest i get? i capture and encode a lot of videos from tv (its jumpy at the moment and the audio/video sync goes in high quality mod with what i have right now)

i currently have a 1.4ghz processor, 256mb memory

do u suggest i get a new processor (say 2.8-3.ghz with HT) and what about memory? is it possible to add another 512 to equal 768mb? or can i only add another 256mb?

how much would this cost?

2nd problem: my computer is making strange noises.. like a revving noise sometimes and then its just constantly noisy, any ideas what it could be?

thanks in advance! :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
go for the best processor your motherboard can handle and 768MB of Ram should be fine
,as for the noise its probably a fan somewhere either wearing out or making the case vibrate.

Reaction score
I would probably replace the motherboard, processor, RAM and graphics card, and flog the old lot on eBay.

You may find that it's cheaper overall to flog the whole system and build an entire new one.

You want P4 for your media work, this is one of the areas where intel are a fair bit better over AMD performance/speed wise. I think it is because all that matters is the sheer MHz of the CPU rather than the architechture, hence why higher end celerons aren't as poor as they should be due to higher clock speeds.

Or so i read, somewhere, Hexus i believe?

Oh and doing that will get rid of the noise :)

Reaction score
well, i didnt want to spend anymore than £200-250 on the parts... so what do you think i could get for that ? lol

Reaction score
P4 Prescott 3.0GHz (Retail Kit 800fsb)
Asus P4P800E (Springdale)
512Mb (Dual Channel) GeIL PC3200 DDR400
Maxtor Plus10 SATA 160Gb 8Mb 7200RPM Hard Drive
PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700LE 128Mb DVI TV OUT

That should all be within your price range if you can also sell your old kit :)

BUT you may need a new power supply with that lot, i'd upgrade if yours is below 350w (i'l only use 400w or above really with something like that to make sure its ok)

Should do you good :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question