Do you think I should upgrade the RAM in my laptop?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I only have 4GB right now and sometimes I have to close apps when I'm trying to develop applications :wall:. Also, I can't even run Android Studio 3.0 along with an emulator because I run out of memory :cry:. The thing is that the Dell website says my Inspiron 3147 supports a max of 4. I read on a forum about this user who successfully upgraded to 8 because my processor supports it. And then I found a website that compares CPUs and I noticed that my Celeron N2830 does support 8GB. And then I read an article that says that Dell purposely modifies the BIOS so that they can limit any upgrades to your computer in an attempt to force you to just buy new ones.:eek:

i won't be buying Dells anymore because that is scandalous to limit my computers capabilities so they can turn a profit. :mad:

So what do you guys think? Should I just buy the RAM and try to upgrade my system? :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No, RAM is still relatively expensive. You'd likely be the one that the 'upgrade' doesn't work. No laptop, or any top running Windows, should have less the 8GB.

Try Linux. :eek: :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I can recomend MX-17 as a good linux replacement. It may pay to read here if you decide to install a penguin.

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...-owners-wanting-to-install-Win-7/td-p/4492874

Linux Mint installation was easy-peasy for me, too. I like it MUCH better than Win 8 or 10. I've had no problem turning off secure boot with bios versions A05, A06 and A07 (there is no A08). BEWARE of either A09 or A10 bios, which are mainly for Win 10 compatibility. I've read several user reports that both releases of A09 were buggy and resulted in big headaches trying to roll back to a previous bios and/or recover the system. That may be why Dell issued A10 a few weeks ago. Since I'm on Linux now and have no plans to install Win 10 I probably won't update bios above A07. If you do, I'd recommend to download and archive the previous bios version(s) in case you need to roll back. I'm never in a hurry to update bios or drivers until I've seen reports from early adopters. I'd rather be using my PC than fixing it!

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Ask a Question