Budget graphics card recommendations

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've been wanting a new graphics card for a while, and I think it's time I start looking into it properly. I've currently got a GTX 560 SE which I've had since I built my PC back in 2012 - it has lasted me well, but I think it's time to upgrade. Plus graphics card prices seem to be getting reasonable again!

Given that I'm always behind with my gaming I'm often playing older games on my PC - plus I also do a lot of gaming on the PS4 - so it hasn't really been an issue. However there are some upcoming games that I would probably prefer playing on the PC instead of the PlayStation, namely because they are FPS style which is a lot better with a keyboard and mouse IMO.

Ideally I'd like to get a graphics card that will last me a while, something that's good enough to cope well with most modern games.

My current specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
RAM: 8GB
SSD: 240GB
PSU: 750W
O/S: Windows 10 (64-bit)

New / upcoming games I want to play: Far Cry 5, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk 2077 (no minimum specs released for this yet though).

Budget: No more than £175 (ideally closer to £150)

Other factors to consider: I currently use two 23" Dell monitors, and am thinking about getting a bigger gaming monitor and using the Dell monitors either side.

Assuming I'm sticking with NVIDIA then something in the 10-series would probably be a good idea. Maybe the GTX 1050 Ti? It's a couple of years old but is probably fine for what I need. Or there's the GTX 1050 3GB card which came out more recently - it's cheaper than the 1050 Ti, and seems to be nearly as good.

Alternatively, I like the look of the new RTX cards so I'm also wondering if it's worth waiting until they bring out the cheaper models in the range... but who knows when that may be, or how much they will cost (probably more than I'm hoping to spend). Plus, if I got one would it be worth upgrading the rest of my PC to get the most out of it? Dunno. Could end up spending too much if that's the case.

Any help or advice much appreciated!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
At 1080p I assume?

I've not been keeping up with the latest cards but yes the 1050Ti would be a decent place to look at I would imagine.

I'd also wager the rest of the RTX cards will be £lol.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I have had my eye on this for a few week, i just can't bring myself it buying it yet though

https://www.ebuyer.com/780603-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-armor-oc-graphics-card-gtx-1060-armor-6g-ocv1

I just don't do enough gaming on PC anymore really

Yeah I do like the look of the 1060, but I just can't get my head around the price! I could get a whole console for just a bit more than that. Still, I suppose I shouldn't complain, prices are still a lot better than they were :rolleyes:

Reaction score
My Dilemma too. I want a PS4 for Lucas at Christmas because he loves Spiderman.
The cost however of the console is even putting me off

Decisions Decisions
Being a grown up sucks lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My machines currently have a 1060 and a 1050, I'm pleased with both.

As others have said, I think the 1050Ti is a good and sensible choice.

I favour the MSI brand which is the make of both of my current graphics cards and I've had a total of three EVGA cards fail on me so...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
My machines currently have a 1060 and a 1050, I'm pleased with both.

As others have said, I think the 1050Ti is a good and sensible choice.

I favour the MSI brand which is the make of both of my current graphics cards and I've had a total of three EVGA cards fail on me so...

Oh yeah, I forgot you recently got a 1050! Glad to hear you're pleased with it. Just did a quick forum search and saw that you bought it from Novatech... I've never used them before but the prices look good. Did you have any issues with them?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot you recently got a 1050! Glad to hear you're pleased with it. Just did a quick forum search and saw that you bought it from Novatech... I've never used them before but the prices look good. Did you have any issues with them?

No, Novatech have been fine for every transaction I've had with them. Quick delivery and you can get through to them on the phone ok and speak to somebody you can understand.

I have seen cheaper prices on Ebay for some products but Ebay is - how shall we say? - fraught with risk.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
No, Novatech have been fine for every transaction I've had with them. Quick delivery and you can get through to them on the phone ok and speak to somebody you can understand.

I have seen cheaper prices on Ebay for some products but Ebay is - how shall we say? - fraught with risk.

Ah ok, that's good to know. Yeah I wouldn't try and buy something like this on ebay! Too risky. Think I'll keep an eye on prices but I'm 99% sure I'll go for the 1050 Ti. Thanks for the advice everyone! :thumb:

Reaction score
Ah ok, that's good to know. Yeah I wouldn't try and buy something like this on ebay! Too risky. Think I'll keep an eye on prices but I'm 99% sure I'll go for the 1050 Ti. Thanks for the advice everyone! :thumb:

What did you buy in the end? I’m
still thinking 1080 TI but that might just be overkill. Still, good to future proof?!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
What did you buy in the end? I’m
still thinking 1080 TI but that might just be overkill. Still, good to future proof?!

I'm planning on buying the 1050Ti, just keeping an eye on prices for the time being though... The 1080Ti is a great card, and should certainly be fine for a number of years!

Ask a Question