Upgrading from a 5 year old monitor - what am I missing?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've currently got dual Dell U2312HM monitors, which are around 5 years old. I've got no complaints with them, but I'm quite struck by how "old" they seem in comparison to new high-end desktops.

Monitors are an area where I know very little - so I'm not aware of what I may be missing. My current monitors are 23", IPS panel, support up to 1920x1080 res and have a Grey-to-grey response time of 8ms.

I didn't buy them as gaming monitors, as I wanted something very comfortable for day-to-day usage. However, I imagine that I can get the best of both worlds on a new monitor.

Has anyone upgraded to a new gaming monitor recently, and if so, can you tell me what sort of improvements you noticed? My 8ms g-t-g response time lags far behind what new monitors can do, so I imagine I'll see a big improvement in gaming - but I'd really like to hear a first hand account of someone that has a new-ish monitor (144hz or similar) :).

edit: I should mention, I've got an NVIDIA graphics card - so G-Sync compatible would be of benefit (but it seems far too expensive atm).

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm no expert either, but my 2 pence worth....

- What you have there is a decent pair of IPS panels.
- What are you thinking? Ultra wide? 1440p? 144Hz? Will you miss the productivity of two monitors? I'd imagine you would.
- Don't forget the more pixels you have the more power you need to run them. :)

I'm still rocking my 'old' BenQ 120Hz 1080p monitor. I have no complaints. Though I haven't experienced GSync or 144Hz so can't really comment either. If I were to upgrade I'd almost certainly go down the 27" 1440p route.

That said, I do remember going from my old 60Hz Samsung screen to this BenQ one and the the difference between 60 and 120Hz was to me very noticeable. games felt much smoother.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
there are a couple of reasons for a possible upgrade I can see

1. If you play games that would be really strenuous to the monitor or just wish to have the "standard" 1ms response time. NOTE: that would probably be the "older" tech of a TN monitor

2. You want it in purple.

3. they broken

I have a Freesync 144Hz monitor, yep I have AMD, and well, err, I should have kept the £200, or done some more homework on the monitor.

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts :).

I'm in no rush to upgrade the monitors, as I really like the existing setup (I'd definitely stick with dual monitors in future) - but as I've not seen what G-Sync/FreeSync can do, nor used a 1440p monitor for long, I wasn't sure if I was missing out on anything. It sounds like there probably isn't going to be a huge improvement then - at least, not worth the cost!

I'm really surprised at how long PC hardware lasts these days. My PC is around 5 years old (apart from the NVIDIA 560 > 960 upgrade, plus a bit more RAM) - yet it still runs everything I need.

I have a Freesync 144Hz monitor, yep I have AMD, and well, err, I should have kept the £200, or done some more homework on the monitor.

I remember the thread about the cable for this :lol: - I'm glad it was fixable! So, I'm guessing the benefits of FreeSync aren't as good as they may sound?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, I'm guessing the benefits of FreeSync aren't as good as they may sound?

nope, not for me anyway ... I "see" no real benefit in anything I do, and I mainly play games. I get to see the FPS over 60, sometimes. :sleep:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Does text and graphics still look good on your monitors ? If yes why change ?

:cool:

Ask a Question